Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

I've started coming into town down the A34 / New Town Row.....just so that I appreciate the benefit when the new segregated cycleway appears.  Actually it's not too bad at the moment to be honest.

But that traffic light going towards the city centre, just before the canal and just after Brewery St, where the road splits into a bus/cycle lane on the left and an any other traffic lane on the right.   Does the traffic light ever change if there is only a bike there?  I've noticed it change instantly for buses, but I've never managed to trigger it with my Alu framed bike.  Most annoying as, obviously, I want to be a law abiding cyclist and obey all red lights.

Views: 627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

pretty sure I've seen people commenting on this before and there's a pressure pad so will never change for a cyclist.

They're induction loops (ie. metal detectors), not pressure pads.  They should be able to detect a bicycle if properly calibrated.

You could try reporting it as a traffic light fault, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I know tht we've talked about the one on the lichfield rd before.  ....that one would never change for me either.

Maybe i should try my steel bike.

Ho hum, hwc says if its bost, proceed with caution and report.  I reckon this counts as bost.

Maybe you should tow a one tonne metal box on wheels.

Never happened for me but I do have a carbon bike so just go with normal traffic flow 

They never changed once for me in about three years of pretty regular use. I learned to put up with the drivers seeing their disapproval at my "ignoring" a red light, because the alternative was dying of old age. Or sticking to the main carriageway, and getting squeezed by those same drivers.

The bus lane signals do NOT change for cyclists DESPITE the cycling markings on the road. I've never tried the one's going towards Perry Bar so I do not know about these signals. I normally enter the cycle lane and onto the shared walkway till on the other side of the bridge.

The signals coming back however I do know DONT change for bicycles in the bus lane. When I lived at Jennens Court in 2013/2014 I used to shop at the Aldi along the A34. Cycling back I always had to change lanes. A few times I had no choice but to jump the red lights because I had been waiting for so long. More than often buses don't use the traffic lights. 

The bus lane signal also goes green before the main traffic get red, so its also dangerous signal set up.

Even just this past New Year, I had to cycle to the Royal Mail HQ to pick up a package I missed. Coming back I tried the bus gate again and I waited nearly 5 minutes. I was going to jump the red because it simply was not changing. Then a bus approached me from behind and it instantly changed the moment the bus got there.

Its really annoying and frustrating. I HATE bus gates. I really dont see the point in a bus gate. 

1. They never work properly

2. Half the buses never use them

3. It be easier and cheaper to simply just filter into 1 lane

4. It be better as a cycle lane because cyclists are more vulnerable than buses

I've had to jump the lights a few times when I got there because it was not changing. Its really stupid the council expects you to use faulty equipment. I am pretty sure its a health and safety crime to allow public to use faulty equipment. (Faulty equipment = bus gate traffic lights not changing properly for cyclists despite being a shared lane with cyclists.)

Richard D said:

They never changed once for me in about three years of pretty regular use. I learned to put up with the drivers seeing their disapproval at my "ignoring" a red light, because the alternative was dying of old age. Or sticking to the main carriageway, and getting squeezed by those same drivers.

AIUI it's legal to pass a faulty traffic light at red.


Yes, it is, otherwise you would be waiting days before you could go home. Im not sure what the time limit is normally. I will waite between 3-5 minutes depending how well I know the junction. Normally after travelling in the same place multiple times you get to know the signalling times, so when you end up waiting longer than normal you relies something is not right and may be a faulty signal.
Kim said:

AIUI it's legal to pass a faulty traffic light at red.

In the a34 bike scheme (of which some of it is crap compared to the A38) how do they deal with that pinch spot ?  Also where do they take cyclists round Lancaster Circus. For reference if I need to get to the other side I use the underpass ! But I accept many cyclists would not want to do this.

ARKrider said:

The bus lane signals do NOT change for cyclists DESPITE the cycling markings on the road. I've never tried the one's going towards Perry Bar so I do not know about these signals. I normally enter the cycle lane and onto the shared walkway till on the other side of the bridge.

The signals coming back however I do know DONT change for bicycles in the bus lane. When I lived at Jennens Court in 2013/2014 I used to shop at the Aldi along the A34. Cycling back I always had to change lanes. A few times I had no choice but to jump the red lights because I had been waiting for so long. More than often buses don't use the traffic lights. 

The bus lane signal also goes green before the main traffic get red, so its also dangerous signal set up.

Even just this past New Year, I had to cycle to the Royal Mail HQ to pick up a package I missed. Coming back I tried the bus gate again and I waited nearly 5 minutes. I was going to jump the red because it simply was not changing. Then a bus approached me from behind and it instantly changed the moment the bus got there.

Its really annoying and frustrating. I HATE bus gates. I really dont see the point in a bus gate. 

1. They never work properly

2. Half the buses never use them

3. It be easier and cheaper to simply just filter into 1 lane

4. It be better as a cycle lane because cyclists are more vulnerable than buses

OH MY DAYS yes the A34 plans for cycle highway are awful compared to the A38! I feel the A38 has had more time and thought put in meanwhile the A34 seems like its been chucked together in a week or less! I've noticed along the route there are numerous left turns available to drivers, which I fear will be threatening for cyclist for any drivers turning not aware of cyclist there

ian robathan said:

In the a34 bike scheme (of which some of it is crap compared to the A38) how do they deal with that pinch spot ?  Also where do they take cyclists round Lancaster Circus. For reference if I need to get to the other side I use the underpass ! But I accept many cyclists would not want to do this.

ARKrider said:

The bus lane signals do NOT change for cyclists DESPITE the cycling markings on the road. I've never tried the one's going towards Perry Bar so I do not know about these signals. I normally enter the cycle lane and onto the shared walkway till on the other side of the bridge.

The signals coming back however I do know DONT change for bicycles in the bus lane. When I lived at Jennens Court in 2013/2014 I used to shop at the Aldi along the A34. Cycling back I always had to change lanes. A few times I had no choice but to jump the red lights because I had been waiting for so long. More than often buses don't use the traffic lights. 

The bus lane signal also goes green before the main traffic get red, so its also dangerous signal set up.

Even just this past New Year, I had to cycle to the Royal Mail HQ to pick up a package I missed. Coming back I tried the bus gate again and I waited nearly 5 minutes. I was going to jump the red because it simply was not changing. Then a bus approached me from behind and it instantly changed the moment the bus got there.

Its really annoying and frustrating. I HATE bus gates. I really dont see the point in a bus gate. 

1. They never work properly

2. Half the buses never use them

3. It be easier and cheaper to simply just filter into 1 lane

4. It be better as a cycle lane because cyclists are more vulnerable than buses

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Site Sponsors


Latest Activity

ARKrider posted discussions
yesterday
ARKrider replied to David's discussion Julie's petition for Hagley Road cycle lanes
"Hagley road is like 6 lanes wide for a good odd mile at least. Then it narrows to 2 each way.…"
yesterday
ARKrider replied to David's discussion Julie's petition for Hagley Road cycle lanes
"Signed and shared. I don't even live/go that way, but if it means supporting safer cycling in…"
yesterday
ARKrider replied to Simon's discussion Bloody students ;-)
"I bet you he likely did not even stop for the Stop Sign there either. "
yesterday
Kim replied to Kim's discussion New pinch-points on Linden Road
"I rode past them again today.  Temporary traffic lights at the top of the hill meant no…"
yesterday
LS replied to LS's discussion Consultation - Longbridge Connectivity Local Growth Fund
"I'm not familiar with cycling to Longbridge but it looks like work has started on this…"
yesterday
Dave Cox replied to Kim's discussion New pinch-points on Linden Road
"This is the response I had via Twitter  I think Shivaji is following up on…"
Tuesday
LS replied to LS's discussion BCC Consultations with a cycling element
"Proposed Improvements to Grand Union Canal access point at Lincoln Road, Acocks…"
Monday
Robert replied to Kim's discussion New pinch-points on Linden Road
"I saw the Linden Road pinch points yesterday, thankfully whilst going down hill.   In the…"
Monday
Tom H posted a discussion

Experienced cycle mechanic job available at BikeRight!

BikeRight! are looking for an experienced cycle mechanic, as Tom is moving on to manage the…See More
Monday
Dave Cox posted photos
Monday
Shivaji Shiva replied to Kim's discussion New pinch-points on Linden Road
"Agreed!   I am glad I am not alone on being concerned about this.  In my view it is an…"
Sunday
Robert Jones replied to LS's discussion The backlash begins
"To be fair it was allegedly one of the most heavily contaminated sites in Birmingham, it's…"
Aug 11
Robert replied to LS's discussion The backlash begins
"Funny you should mention the Battery site.   I've had a good view of it from the…"
Aug 10
Kim posted a discussion

New pinch-points on Linden Road

Who thought that was a good idea?It's a substantial gradient, the last thing cyclists need is more…See More
Aug 10
Andrew George replied to LS's discussion The backlash begins
"I'm afraid I very much doubt that any part of the A38 route will be ready by next spring, even…"
Aug 10

© 2017   Created by LS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service