Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

A38 Cycle Highway still on??? And new cycle shared crossing?

So today cycling home on the A38. Glad to see the new Cycle Shared Crossing is now built and on. HOWEVER, if this crossing is cycle shared, does that make the footpath here cycle shared. On the other side of the junction is a shared cycle path but at the pedestrian crossing for the cross road are signs saying "cyclists dismount". 

If you can't cycle across the cross road pedestrian crossing I don't see much point in this cycle shared crossing. One option is to use lane 1, pull into the side of the bus stop, push the button to stop traffic to safely pull back out into lane 2 without hassle.

Also I heard that once this was finished the A38 cycle highway project would be next to be built. As this is finished I would assume the works for the the cycle highway will be next soon? Is this right? Are they still building this bicycle highway thing? Just wondering as I've not heard anything in the news since their story claiming the cycle lanes would cause "traffic hell" (Load of rubbish really). 

Views: 192

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

afaik it's a shared pavement on the other side of the road to that picture, the side with the development on - it certainly was when there was the underpass.

Pavement becomes shared on both sides on the other side of the mcdonalds junction. You can go straight off this toucan crossing into the park on your left which, like all parks in Birmingham, is shared by default, and is the NCN5 route.

Where's the cyclist dismount sign? I've used this coming out of town (crossing from right to left in your photo) and not seen one.

A38 segregated lane is still going to be built, there's a legal challenge to them adding the right turn for motorists after the mcdonalds junction which has delayed it, no idea how long for or why they can't start building other sections first. @birminghamcyclist on twitter keeps asking and gettnig some kind of reply from Birmingham Cycle Revolution so make sure you are following both of those.

Last time I went by (the big student accomidation which keeps changing its name, I call it Opal1 still) there are 2 Dismount signs. One before the big junction crossing, and another one further down at the next pedestrian crossing. I don't see any on the other side to dismount but I hardly use the other side. 

One option I am tempted to try is cycle down the A38 in lane 1. Pull up at the new signals, and use it as a head start. So when it changes red, pull back out to enter lane 2 in a safer way perhaps. 

But I agree they should start building it in sections. I STRONGLY think they should re-build the junction for Belgrave Middleway FIRST. Because its the most dangerous in my opinion. Also the project would benifit motorists as well as they'd get new signals, and the right turns would also be traffic light controlled making turns much safer.

Tom H said:

afaik it's a shared pavement on the other side of the road to that picture, the side with the development on - it certainly was when there was the underpass.

Pavement becomes shared on both sides on the other side of the mcdonalds junction. You can go straight off this toucan crossing into the park on your left which, like all parks in Birmingham, is shared by default, and is the NCN5 route.

Where's the cyclist dismount sign? I've used this coming out of town (crossing from right to left in your photo) and not seen one.

A38 segregated lane is still going to be built, there's a legal challenge to them adding the right turn for motorists after the mcdonalds junction which has delayed it, no idea how long for or why they can't start building other sections first. @birminghamcyclist on twitter keeps asking and gettnig some kind of reply from Birmingham Cycle Revolution so make sure you are following both of those.

The right turns are already traffic light controlled? Or do you mean they are adding lights so that when you are waiting to turn right you get a green filter light at those times the other direction is on red?

I agree with you but the location of the legal challenge is just after that junction so it's more reasonable that they won't redo the junction until they know the outcome of the legal challenge as it might conceivably affect the detail on the reworking oft he junction (I don't have any idea if it would) whereas there's no way the bit from priory road to the uni or the bit from town to mcdonalds junction could be.

If they manage to string it out for as long as possible it might never happen. There could be a change of council leadership in May 2018 because of the bin strike. With Robert Alden as council leader the A38 scheme would be scrapped and any future cycle routes would be in parks. RIP Cycle Revolution.

you can rest assured even with the strike he has NO chance of being council leader.

LS said:

If they manage to string it out for as long as possible it might never happen. There could be a change of council leadership in May 2018 because of the bin strike. With Robert Alden as council leader the A38 scheme would be scrapped and any future cycle routes would be in parks. RIP Cycle Revolution.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Site Sponsors

Latest Activity

Ian replied to LS's discussion Edgbaston Tunnel Tow Path Widening
"Yep still open"
23 hours ago
doug salmon replied to LS's discussion Edgbaston Tunnel Tow Path Widening
"thank you - will give it a go. "
yesterday
Laura replied to LS's discussion Edgbaston Tunnel Tow Path Widening
"Was there on Monday and was still open. Stopped to look at the new notices and they're saying…"
yesterday
doug salmon replied to LS's discussion Edgbaston Tunnel Tow Path Widening
"Anyone been through recently? Planning to use tomorrow if still open. Thanks."
yesterday
ian robathan replied to Philip Whiteman's discussion Velo Midland 2018
"not sure rolling can work but a solution would be to have shorter closure times and if people too…"
yesterday
ian robathan replied to Philip Whiteman's discussion Velo Midland 2018
"there is no alternative to not going there, as the best biking country with some hills, is on that…"
yesterday
Rob replied to Philip Whiteman's discussion Velo Midland 2018
"They could do a rolling road closure approach, that seems to be common on other events like Tour De…"
Tuesday
Philip Whiteman replied to Philip Whiteman's discussion Velo Midland 2018
"Ian, in answer to your question: A decision will be made by Worcestershire County Council's…"
Tuesday
Robert Holland replied to Robert Holland's discussion City cycling - Vancouver have it about right
"Aboslutely spot on Robert!"
Tuesday
Robert replied to Robert Holland's discussion City cycling - Vancouver have it about right
"The green routes can be very pleasant, but they suffer from poor social safety, particularly after…"
Tuesday
Dave Cox replied to Robert Holland's discussion City cycling - Vancouver have it about right
"Making Birmingham a centre for cycle tourism is fully achievable. New St links us to most parts of…"
Monday
Dave Cox replied to Robert Holland's discussion City cycling - Vancouver have it about right
"Excellent integrated transport.  I took my Brompton to Vancouver years ago and thoroughly…"
Monday
Robert replied to Robert Holland's discussion City cycling - Vancouver have it about right
"I had noticed that Air France is running a series of adverts on RTÉ Radio 1 this year…"
Monday
Robert Holland posted a discussion

City cycling - Vancouver have it about right

This video about joined up transport thinking and cycling in Vancouver should be a must-see for all…See More
Sunday
Robert replied to Ryan Stait's discussion Broad Street trams
Saturday
David smart is now a member of Birmingham Cyclist
Jan 13

© 2018   Created by LS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service