Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

A38 Cycle Highway still on??? And new cycle shared crossing?

So today cycling home on the A38. Glad to see the new Cycle Shared Crossing is now built and on. HOWEVER, if this crossing is cycle shared, does that make the footpath here cycle shared. On the other side of the junction is a shared cycle path but at the pedestrian crossing for the cross road are signs saying "cyclists dismount". 

If you can't cycle across the cross road pedestrian crossing I don't see much point in this cycle shared crossing. One option is to use lane 1, pull into the side of the bus stop, push the button to stop traffic to safely pull back out into lane 2 without hassle.

Also I heard that once this was finished the A38 cycle highway project would be next to be built. As this is finished I would assume the works for the the cycle highway will be next soon? Is this right? Are they still building this bicycle highway thing? Just wondering as I've not heard anything in the news since their story claiming the cycle lanes would cause "traffic hell" (Load of rubbish really). 

Views: 170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

afaik it's a shared pavement on the other side of the road to that picture, the side with the development on - it certainly was when there was the underpass.

Pavement becomes shared on both sides on the other side of the mcdonalds junction. You can go straight off this toucan crossing into the park on your left which, like all parks in Birmingham, is shared by default, and is the NCN5 route.

Where's the cyclist dismount sign? I've used this coming out of town (crossing from right to left in your photo) and not seen one.

A38 segregated lane is still going to be built, there's a legal challenge to them adding the right turn for motorists after the mcdonalds junction which has delayed it, no idea how long for or why they can't start building other sections first. @birminghamcyclist on twitter keeps asking and gettnig some kind of reply from Birmingham Cycle Revolution so make sure you are following both of those.

Last time I went by (the big student accomidation which keeps changing its name, I call it Opal1 still) there are 2 Dismount signs. One before the big junction crossing, and another one further down at the next pedestrian crossing. I don't see any on the other side to dismount but I hardly use the other side. 

One option I am tempted to try is cycle down the A38 in lane 1. Pull up at the new signals, and use it as a head start. So when it changes red, pull back out to enter lane 2 in a safer way perhaps. 

But I agree they should start building it in sections. I STRONGLY think they should re-build the junction for Belgrave Middleway FIRST. Because its the most dangerous in my opinion. Also the project would benifit motorists as well as they'd get new signals, and the right turns would also be traffic light controlled making turns much safer.

Tom H said:

afaik it's a shared pavement on the other side of the road to that picture, the side with the development on - it certainly was when there was the underpass.

Pavement becomes shared on both sides on the other side of the mcdonalds junction. You can go straight off this toucan crossing into the park on your left which, like all parks in Birmingham, is shared by default, and is the NCN5 route.

Where's the cyclist dismount sign? I've used this coming out of town (crossing from right to left in your photo) and not seen one.

A38 segregated lane is still going to be built, there's a legal challenge to them adding the right turn for motorists after the mcdonalds junction which has delayed it, no idea how long for or why they can't start building other sections first. @birminghamcyclist on twitter keeps asking and gettnig some kind of reply from Birmingham Cycle Revolution so make sure you are following both of those.

The right turns are already traffic light controlled? Or do you mean they are adding lights so that when you are waiting to turn right you get a green filter light at those times the other direction is on red?

I agree with you but the location of the legal challenge is just after that junction so it's more reasonable that they won't redo the junction until they know the outcome of the legal challenge as it might conceivably affect the detail on the reworking oft he junction (I don't have any idea if it would) whereas there's no way the bit from priory road to the uni or the bit from town to mcdonalds junction could be.

If they manage to string it out for as long as possible it might never happen. There could be a change of council leadership in May 2018 because of the bin strike. With Robert Alden as council leader the A38 scheme would be scrapped and any future cycle routes would be in parks. RIP Cycle Revolution.

you can rest assured even with the strike he has NO chance of being council leader.

LS said:

If they manage to string it out for as long as possible it might never happen. There could be a change of council leadership in May 2018 because of the bin strike. With Robert Alden as council leader the A38 scheme would be scrapped and any future cycle routes would be in parks. RIP Cycle Revolution.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Site Sponsors

Latest Activity

ian robathan replied to ian robathan's discussion No Velodrome for Brum
"well it is 50M I thought ? just not the spectator facilities ?"
21 minutes ago
ochib replied to ian robathan's discussion No Velodrome for Brum
"What a wasted opportunity by Birmingham University not to build an olympic sized pool   …"
3 hours ago
LS replied to felipe moreira's discussion Fixie shop
12 hours ago
ian robathan replied to felipe moreira's discussion Fixie shop
"Not sure of a shop but I use Al Salter for all things on my bike and he is fantastic…"
15 hours ago
ian robathan replied to Andrew W's discussion Birmingham to host closed roads sportive
"well got to ride there and back but that is a flat ride anyway "
15 hours ago
felipe moreira posted a discussion

Fixie shop

hey. i'm new to the city (and the forum) and have just bought a fixie and a single speed (soon to…See More
15 hours ago
Russ M replied to Andrew W's discussion Birmingham to host closed roads sportive
"I'm just adding another 9 miles before the start to warm up! lol"
16 hours ago
Richard D replied to Andrew W's discussion Birmingham to host closed roads sportive
"I've got free parking organised in the city centre anyway. And if I wanted to have empty…"
16 hours ago
"it is a lost opportunity, we will get a new 50M pool we badly need but also imagine a velodrome as…"
22 hours ago
LS replied to ian robathan's discussion No Velodrome for Brum
"When Manchester and Glasgow hosted the games they both built velodromes. If Birmingham isn't…"
yesterday
Andy White replied to LS's discussion Cyclist Injured on Sherlock Street
"Agreed Kim. However my post was intended to raise caution against the, all too prevalent, habit of…"
yesterday
ian robathan replied to ian robathan's discussion 2026 Transport plan
"yep frilly words, without the cash totally pointless."
yesterday
James Patterson replied to ian robathan's discussion 2026 Transport plan
"Yep, that plan mentions "unfunded" so many times. Basically rubbish."
yesterday
"I read not enough seats though and not possible to expand ?"
yesterday
GasPipeWarrior replied to ian robathan's discussion No Velodrome for Brum
"I believe that Derby Velodrome is being considered as the potential venue for Track Cycling."
yesterday
ian robathan replied to Andrew W's discussion Birmingham to host closed roads sportive
"well I paid for fastback not for the inconvience of saturday but because I want to be off early…"
yesterday

© 2017   Created by LS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service