Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

Views: 875

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

so looks like proceeding at last !

but just how many pages of docs, no wonder it takes so frigging long in this country 

FINALLY! Sad its taken this long + I just moved out of Birmingham. Really gutted I wont be here anymore to see or use this once its built. It would of been very useful for university had this been built months - years ago!

LOL! No kidding. 

ian robathan said:

so looks like proceeding at last !

but just how many pages of docs, no wonder it takes so frigging long in this country 

Sign on the central reservation near to the university.

Workers are on site today at the university end taking measurements. They reckon it will be a couple of months before there's much to see. 

LS said:

Sign on the central reservation near to the university.

I rode the section from the Priory Road junction to the University this afternoon.  Evidence of tree-felling (some still a work in progress), and a pretty little row of survey flags (and occasional civil engineering graffiti where tarmac is present) along the central reservation.

Also big holes in the pavement at the Pebble Mill Road junction, but these may be unrelated utility works?

Some photos of current progress on twitter: https://twitter.com/BCRbirmingham/status/984065109407432704/

They seem to be laying the path without digging into the soil, beyond removing the turf.  Is that a good idea?

I noticed it looks like it will be raised about a foot above the grass and wonder if there will be edges to reduce the risk of riding off the side. 

Work should begin on the Belgrave middle way crossing next week.

Kim said:

Some photos of current progress on twitter: https://twitter.com/BCRbirmingham/status/984065109407432704/

They seem to be laying the path without digging into the soil, beyond removing the turf.  Is that a good idea?

I went and found the original artist's impression, and that just showed magic paint, which is clearly not the solution.  It's going to need a proper kerb, preferably with enough of a slope that bicycles don't tramline against it.  The cynic in me expects the usual wooden edging that hides in the leaf-litter and makes you fall off your bike.

LS said:

I noticed it looks like it will be raised about a foot above the grass and wonder if there will be edges to reduce the risk of riding off the side.

Dates...

Any updates/photos on the new cycle highway? Not living in Birmingham anymore sad to say so I have not been able to witness the building of the new cycle lane. I hope its going well? Looking forward to having a ride on soon as it is completed!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Site Sponsors

Latest Activity

Shakey replied to Philip Whiteman's discussion Velo Midland 2018
"Route does not look great and not particularly taxing. I thought last year's velo was perfect…"
12 minutes ago
ian robathan replied to ian robathan's discussion Audax
"ah yeah I saw that one and planning a 600km next year so that is one I am looking at "
3 hours ago
ian robathan replied to Philip Whiteman's discussion Velo Midland 2018
"shame really as all events I have taken part in no issues "
3 hours ago
Andy White replied to ian robathan's discussion Audax
"BCM = Bryan Chapman Memorial (600k and stupid climb) btw ;-)"
13 hours ago
"BCM is beyond me now Ian ! I joined Audax 35 years ago and never got past a 600k. PBP 87 was…"
13 hours ago
Kim replied to Philip Whiteman's discussion Velo Midland 2018
"They did last time.  No idea what's happening next year."
yesterday
ian robathan replied to ian robathan's discussion Audax
"The ones I will keep Phil are the early season ones, for example done one from Garden every year…"
yesterday
Philip Whiteman replied to ian robathan's discussion Audax
"Welcome to the dark side. Years ago I too made that transition.  I recall those heady days of…"
yesterday
"Welcome to the 'family' and even more TLAs ... BCM, PBP, LEL ... ;-)"
yesterday
James Russell replied to ian robathan's discussion Audax
"I've done the Kidderminster Killer myself.  A lovely day out if you don't mind a bit…"
yesterday
ian robathan posted a discussion

Audax

I will admit until this year I was sniffy about Audaxing, always thought Sportives were better and…See More
Sunday
ian robathan replied to Philip Whiteman's discussion Velo Midland 2018
"apart from TT ones, do they ban say tandems or recumbents then ? "
Saturday
Shakey replied to john butler's discussion Bourne brook pathway
"Fully open again last night although care needed in places as there  is a lot of loose gravel…"
Saturday
Kim replied to Philip Whiteman's discussion Velo Midland 2018
"Or at least those whose bikes aren't arbitrarily banned..."
Saturday
Robert replied to Robert's discussion Carrera GTi
"£200 for a "bike" with a half sawn-through frame (amongst numerous other serious…"
Saturday
Andrew W replied to Robert's discussion Carrera GTi
"It’s currently advertised for sake on Facebook for £200 I’m quite tempted "
Friday

© 2018   Created by LS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service