Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

Various Space for Cycling bike rides are being organised for 22nd April.   The date is two weeks before the elections and is also International Earth Day, so it seems fitting. I think it will prove to be a very powerful message if cities all across the country take part.   What should the West Midlands do?

We discussed this at the Push Bikes meeting last night.   One possibility would be to have people ride in to a significant location in Birmingham from all over the West Midlands.   Those that don't want to ride the entire distance could let the train take some of the strain.

But we were trying to figure out a way of making it less Birmingham-centric, given the resistance to the idea of "Greater Birmingham" in the Black Country (despite there already being a "Greater London" and a "Greater Manchester").   I have to say we failed, as if everyone is going to meet up somewhere, it needs to be somewhere vaguely central, and it needs to be somewhere that doesn't require the media types to travel more than a few metres.   Maybe we could just fly our local flags from our bikes?

Do you have any good ideas?

Views: 1241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

no it is not, he/she will not even report to a the shadow assembly they have in London, just to the leaders of the LA's ... there is nothin to stop them doing anything they want within their remit ...

Now, that explains why there seemed to be a lot of cyclist by the council house on Saturday (22nd). Luckily enough, we were able to get out before the big crowds turned up. Couldn't have people photobombing of my stepson's wedding. 

Dave Cox said:

Looked like a great wedding !!! 

There is a Scrutiny Committee of some sort. Cllr Claire Spencer is on it from Birmingham. London is more advanced and further down the road to devolution and much better funded. Is the London Assembly still "shadow"?

ian robathan said:

no it is not, he/she will not even report to a the shadow assembly they have in London, just to the leaders of the LA's ... there is nothin to stop them doing anything they want within their remit ...

shadow in terms of having no real power, it is almost impossible to over turn a mayor decision with such an high bar needed the mayor would need his own party to vote against him

I may regret this but after 1st rnd it looks a Tory mayor so do not expect him to do anything at all that is perceived as anti car .

As predicted Street won as LD's and greens did not transfer to Lab. However Frankly Simon offered us nothing and nor will Street offer us anything as in realty they have little power and cash will be even tighter

I (perhaps optimistically) got the impression that - at least on the subject of cycling - Street was the sort of Tory who was inclined to follow the evidence and do what would benefit businesses and yes, drivers.  Which means getting more people on bikes.

Done!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Site Sponsors

Latest Activity

ARKrider posted discussions
yesterday
ARKrider replied to David's discussion Julie's petition for Hagley Road cycle lanes
"Hagley road is like 6 lanes wide for a good odd mile at least. Then it narrows to 2 each way.…"
yesterday
ARKrider replied to David's discussion Julie's petition for Hagley Road cycle lanes
"Signed and shared. I don't even live/go that way, but if it means supporting safer cycling in…"
yesterday
ARKrider replied to Simon's discussion Bloody students ;-)
"I bet you he likely did not even stop for the Stop Sign there either. "
yesterday
Kim replied to Kim's discussion New pinch-points on Linden Road
"I rode past them again today.  Temporary traffic lights at the top of the hill meant no…"
yesterday
LS replied to LS's discussion Consultation - Longbridge Connectivity Local Growth Fund
"I'm not familiar with cycling to Longbridge but it looks like work has started on this…"
yesterday
Dave Cox replied to Kim's discussion New pinch-points on Linden Road
"This is the response I had via Twitter  I think Shivaji is following up on…"
Tuesday
LS replied to LS's discussion BCC Consultations with a cycling element
"Proposed Improvements to Grand Union Canal access point at Lincoln Road, Acocks…"
Monday
Robert replied to Kim's discussion New pinch-points on Linden Road
"I saw the Linden Road pinch points yesterday, thankfully whilst going down hill.   In the…"
Monday
Tom H posted a discussion

Experienced cycle mechanic job available at BikeRight!

BikeRight! are looking for an experienced cycle mechanic, as Tom is moving on to manage the…See More
Monday
Dave Cox posted photos
Monday
Shivaji Shiva replied to Kim's discussion New pinch-points on Linden Road
"Agreed!   I am glad I am not alone on being concerned about this.  In my view it is an…"
Sunday
Robert Jones replied to LS's discussion The backlash begins
"To be fair it was allegedly one of the most heavily contaminated sites in Birmingham, it's…"
Aug 11
Robert replied to LS's discussion The backlash begins
"Funny you should mention the Battery site.   I've had a good view of it from the…"
Aug 10
Kim posted a discussion

New pinch-points on Linden Road

Who thought that was a good idea?It's a substantial gradient, the last thing cyclists need is more…See More
Aug 10
Andrew George replied to LS's discussion The backlash begins
"I'm afraid I very much doubt that any part of the A38 route will be ready by next spring, even…"
Aug 10

© 2017   Created by LS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service