Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

Views: 4681

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's an interesting link on that follow-up post that Philip Whiteman added:

Cyclist crashes as tacks sprinkled on Velothon Wales route - but ot...

After having tacks sprinkled on the inaugural event..... 

ian robathan said:

...... Wales Velothon goes from strength to strength...

yep I worked there at the time and was in Carephilly which should surprise no one !! But it settled down and subsquently no issues.

As usual where you have empty vessels etc 

OK I understand has to be compromise and the organisers should close roads later and open earlier but that can be difficult to organise. As we saw in wales because of the different abilities it does make it difficult. 

as nothing said in the past month that I have seen apart from this 

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/15339364.Birmingham_Velo__Did_c...

then I presume the flaring up we saw was typical small time countryside Nimbyism ? 

It appears the route is being changed due to protests over road closures.

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/15381479.V__lo_Birmingham__Outc...

New route with changes to be announced tomorrow.

Looks like we are going up into Staffordshire and avoiding Herefordshire - fine with me

Dave Cox said:

Looks like we are going up into Staffordshire and avoiding Herefordshire - fine with me

And there I was thinking that you always enjoyed Stanford Bank.

We'll lose about 700ft of climbing too... bah. I still can't get over the people commenting on those news articles saying they'll be "trapped in their houses". I wish the arrival of a few thousand cyclists might've made people contemplate that other means of locomotion than the bloody car exists, but nope.

Not done Stanford Bank in a while but it will always be there!  Not checked details do we get to go up the Sheepwalks????

No you are spared that little grubby lane.  I would pay good money to watch 15,000 cyclists squeezing their way up Sheepwalks. 

There is not a huge amount of climbing aside from a few very short sharp hauls, for example, out of Kinver, out of Bewdley, out of Great Witley, out of the Teme Valley into Martley and out of Holt Fleet.  The only significant climb is probably St Kenelms.  

Dave Cox said:

Not done Stanford Bank in a while but it will always be there!  Not checked details do we get to go up the Sheepwalks????

I'm well disappointed. Even with all the complaining that was going on, I was not expecting this - Herefordshire replaced with Staffordshire! It may still be a 100 mile ride (if it goes ahead), but it's not going to be anywhere near as challenging as the previous route.

Given this change, I wonder what the rest of the NIMBY brigade think - Let's step it up and get it moved off our roads too? 

Unlike cyclists, I don't think NIMBYs actually have a hive mind.  :)

After catching up on this I hate it when Nimby's win. The same happened in the Marmotte at the weekend where they forced a Sunday ride instead of a Saturday and meant a different event and more time off work.

However the altered course is roads I know even better and with it being a closed road looking for a sub 6 hour time, so some compensation there ! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Site Sponsors

Latest Activity

Simon replied to Laura's discussion Cycle/cyclist friendly venues
"Ok, scrub packington moor....hs2 has just landed on top of it :-("
38 minutes ago
ian robathan replied to ian robathan's discussion No Velodrome for Brum
"well it is 50M I thought ? just not the spectator facilities ?"
2 hours ago
ochib replied to ian robathan's discussion No Velodrome for Brum
"What a wasted opportunity by Birmingham University not to build an olympic sized pool   …"
5 hours ago
LS replied to felipe moreira's discussion Fixie shop
14 hours ago
ian robathan replied to felipe moreira's discussion Fixie shop
"Not sure of a shop but I use Al Salter for all things on my bike and he is fantastic…"
17 hours ago
ian robathan replied to Andrew W's discussion Birmingham to host closed roads sportive
"well got to ride there and back but that is a flat ride anyway "
17 hours ago
felipe moreira posted a discussion

Fixie shop

hey. i'm new to the city (and the forum) and have just bought a fixie and a single speed (soon to…See More
17 hours ago
Russ M replied to Andrew W's discussion Birmingham to host closed roads sportive
"I'm just adding another 9 miles before the start to warm up! lol"
18 hours ago
Richard D replied to Andrew W's discussion Birmingham to host closed roads sportive
"I've got free parking organised in the city centre anyway. And if I wanted to have empty…"
18 hours ago
"it is a lost opportunity, we will get a new 50M pool we badly need but also imagine a velodrome as…"
yesterday
LS replied to ian robathan's discussion No Velodrome for Brum
"When Manchester and Glasgow hosted the games they both built velodromes. If Birmingham isn't…"
yesterday
Andy White replied to LS's discussion Cyclist Injured on Sherlock Street
"Agreed Kim. However my post was intended to raise caution against the, all too prevalent, habit of…"
yesterday
ian robathan replied to ian robathan's discussion 2026 Transport plan
"yep frilly words, without the cash totally pointless."
yesterday
James Patterson replied to ian robathan's discussion 2026 Transport plan
"Yep, that plan mentions "unfunded" so many times. Basically rubbish."
yesterday
"I read not enough seats though and not possible to expand ?"
yesterday
GasPipeWarrior replied to ian robathan's discussion No Velodrome for Brum
"I believe that Derby Velodrome is being considered as the potential venue for Track Cycling."
yesterday

© 2017   Created by LS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service