Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

Views: 5766

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've got free parking organised in the city centre anyway. And if I wanted to have empty roads, I'd just ride the route a couple of hours earlier!

I'm just adding another 9 miles before the start to warm up! lol

well got to ride there and back but that is a flat ride anyway 

Are you one of the 15,000 people cycling Velo Birmingham? Are you going to use your 4 free London midland day tickets? Why not donate them to Hope Projects?

Destitute asylum seekers have to go to Liverpool in person to make further representations. Essential if they are to overturn flawed refusals of asylum. The Home Office don't pay travel costs.

A donated ticket will help a homeless asylum seeker get justice, protection and a safe place to live.

Please share and tag cycling groups or anyone you know who is taking part and may want to help.

Hope Projects, 196-198 Edward Road, B12 9LX

Great idea Ochib will do so

were they in the pack, I never got them ...

GREAT event today I was very pleased with 5.48 and 1028 out of 15000.

Also the crowds were brilliant and supportive, no negative from the sides, just a few banners around Bellbroughton (no shock there). Flags were out, cowbells were out, families enjoying the day without cars and fumes ruining it. Many walking dogs in the middle of coned off roads.

Thats how it should be.

Saw drawing pins on the road, motorcyclist was on the case and warning people off, no punctures that we saw, so congrats to organisers. And well done Belbroughton.

ochib said:

Are you one of the 15,000 people cycling Velo Birmingham? Are you going to use your 4 free London midland day tickets? Why not donate them to Hope Projects?

Destitute asylum seekers have to go to Liverpool in person to make further representations. Essential if they are to overturn flawed refusals of asylum. The Home Office don't pay travel costs.

A donated ticket will help a homeless asylum seeker get justice, protection and a safe place to live.

Please share and tag cycling groups or anyone you know who is taking part and may want to help.

Hope Projects, 196-198 Edward Road, B12 9LX

I met many Asylum seekers through my previous employment. Some were deserving, some simply opportunistic and perhaps understandably dishonest, and some were seriously nasty people who I would not want living anywhere near my family. So no, I will not be handing over a ticket on the off-chance someone deserving will benefit.

What an excellent day and superb organisation.  With an estimated £1m or more going to the various charities and no pollution from vehicles whats not to like?

I really do hope that the Velo Birmingham will become a regular event in the calendar and possibly with a greater number of riders than the 15,000 we saw this year.  

it is on for next year but I think the limit is right as at the start going down Mucklow I saw reports of some sketchy riding that could have been worse. 

On reflection the best spot was Bewdley, as you come down across the bridge and into the town the crowds were brilliant, cheering and everything, best experience in UK cycling ! 

Bewdkey was indeed ace. And some of the riding (up and down the hills) was indeed sketchy. I'm no great bike handler myself, but at least I know to keep to the left unless you're passing someone, and not to deviate from your line without looking!

Only saw the aftermath of one crash (looked like a broken collarbone), heard (but didn't cause) a couple of slow uphill toppings, and I also say the air ambulance flying overheard at one point - I hope that it wasn't for a rider.

The thing I would change next time (aside from telling people to keep left and to hold their line) would be the positioning, size and supplies of the feed stops. They were far too small and not enough food/water (I took two gels from the last feed stop and nothing from the rest - audaxes teach us how to be self-sufficient). But the positioning of them was cuffing awful. They created pinch points, often at the tightest part of the route! With the result that there were riders stopping in the road (for goodness sake). I would tell the organisers to put the feed stops in car parks (of pubs, leisure centres, community halls etc) 500 yards off the main route; if riders want to stop, they turn off the main route and keep riding until the feed station, and don't clog the route. Overall, the event was great, but the feed stops were terribly poor.

One of the "domestiques" provided by the Birmingham Bullets came up with another good idea. On the Saturday, as well as having people collect their rider packs, hold classes teaching people how to fix a puncture. So many riders stricken by the side of the road until help turned up, all because they couldn't change an inner tube. Goodness knows how they normally manage.

And St Kenelms Pass? Complete pussycat. I've no idea why the Velo billed it as some big beast of a climb.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Site Sponsors

Latest Activity

Dave Holladay replied to Maya CycleHack's discussion London Midland CycleHack Challenge | Monday 30th October 2017
"Use the escalators (when they are running) with the caveat that several platforms have substandard…"
18 hours ago
Robert replied to Maya CycleHack's discussion London Midland CycleHack Challenge | Monday 30th October 2017
"I wouldn't bank on it.   Crosscountry Trains are owned by Deutsche Bahn, but…"
21 hours ago
Robert Jones replied to Maya CycleHack's discussion London Midland CycleHack Challenge | Monday 30th October 2017
"The company taking over from London Midland are Dutch so maybe things will improve."
21 hours ago
Kim replied to Maya CycleHack's discussion London Midland CycleHack Challenge | Monday 30th October 2017
"While I can rant endlessly about the new New Street station, the lifts are the main thing…"
23 hours ago
Robert replied to LS's discussion Bike Hire scheme
"Apparently dockless systems are causing significant problems in the Netherlands."
yesterday
Robert replied to Maya CycleHack's discussion London Midland CycleHack Challenge | Monday 30th October 2017
"I'm on the Push Bikes committee, but I wont be attending this event as it is during work hours…"
yesterday
Kim replied to Maya CycleHack's discussion London Midland CycleHack Challenge | Monday 30th October 2017
"I'm on the list!"
yesterday
Profile IconKim and Dave Cox are attending Imran Anwar's event

London Midland CycleHack at Icentrun Labs by London Midland

October 30, 2017 from 9:30am to 5pm
Want to improve the experience of travelling by train with bicycles, for both cyclists and…See More
yesterday
Imran Anwar commented on Imran Anwar's event 'London Midland CycleHack'
"Hi @Dave, This event will be different for the Demo Days that we run as part of the Innovation…"
yesterday
Dave Cox commented on Imran Anwar's event 'London Midland CycleHack'
"I've been to a previous Labs event at Icentrum and it was very interesting but that was about…"
yesterday
Maya CycleHack replied to Maya CycleHack's discussion London Midland CycleHack Challenge | Monday 30th October 2017
"Hi Robert,  Thanks for the message, these are all really great points. And thank you for…"
yesterday
Maya CycleHack replied to Maya CycleHack's discussion London Midland CycleHack Challenge | Monday 30th October 2017
"Hi Kim, These are all fantastic points and not too cynical at all. We would really appreciate these…"
yesterday
"Hi there, thanks for sharing this image, this is really useful. We would love to have you there on…"
yesterday
Andrew W replied to Laura's discussion Cycle/cyclist friendly venues
"I think it is just the way they are.  I tend to go there rather than the MAC for snackage as I…"
Wednesday
Joan is now a member of Birmingham Cyclist
Wednesday
Kim replied to Laura's discussion Cycle/cyclist friendly venues
"Yeah, I've lead rides from there in the past that have been delayed by the speed of hot food,…"
Wednesday

© 2017   Created by LS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service