Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

What is the point of Birmingham city council spending thousands pounds of building cycle pathways when West Midlands Police don't enforce the no parking regulations on the cycle paths. 

The attached photo is an example of a car showroom advertising on the A452 Chester Road Tyburn Islands it is parked across the cycle path and is also causing an obstruction across the public footpath.

Views: 5117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Wolverhampton handing out taxi licences like sweeties" - Coventry licensing committee member Damian Gannon.   Apparently Wolverhampton Council's licensing chairman is Alan Bolshaw...

I’m fed up with taxis parking on the crossing by the Hippodrome.
Attachments:

ITs against the law to stop here like this. I am very sure this area has zig-zags because its a pedestrian crossing with a bike crossing next to it. Im really tired of the G4S and bank vans parking in the cycle lane.

Robert Jones said:

I’m fed up with taxis parking on the crossing by the Hippodrome.

On a similar tip I got so pissed off the other day I actually wrote to BCC which is most unlike me. My main gripe was/is the poor provision given to cyclists who have to travel from Broad St and through the city centre. Here is my email and their response. I've not followed up...

Hi 

Whilst I appreciate the amount of building work currently taking place in the city centre, it appears that no thought has been given to creating or maintaining cycling pathways/routes through the city. I cycle into the city via Broad St and then through the city to Millennium Point and vice versa on the way home.

This has become more difficult and dangerous in the last month or so. There appears to have been no thought as to how cyclists might navigate the building works and diversions and remain safe and without having to use footpaths.

For example there is now no route from Broad Street to Great Charles Street unless you follow a lengthy diversion down Bridge St and then join Suffolk Queensway with fairly fast flowing vehicles. The only other option is to cycle past the Library and down the side of Baskerville House and rejoin the road by the Copthorne which mens navigating pedestrians. Even the bollards have been placed across the drop kerb on Cambridge St making this a tricky task. Getting up Newhall St from Great Charles St has always been difficult as you have to left turn down Newhall St and then then U-turn to come back up the hill.

On Colmore Row, the right turn onto the cycle path is both dangerous and ill conceived as cars, buses etc are behind you and you have to try and look for vehicles on your left without the space to actually stop safely and then the path is constantly blocked with vehicles.

Coming home cyclists are now forced to use heavily populated roads around the Colmore Row are onto Great Charles St with traffic cones intensifying this by forcing cyclists into single lane traffic. Turning onto Broad St necessitates coming from the right hand lane into the left hand lane and then back to the right because of bollards and the new diversions by Bridge St has seen a rise in vehicles turning blindly into Bridge St or blocking through access up into Broad St.

As I have mentioned I appreciate the disruption currently taking place but some more thought to the safety of cyclists and their traffic needs would be appreciate particularly in light of recent accidents and with BCC’s commitment to cycling provision in the city. Although not on my commute, the same problems are affecting those coming from south Birmingham trying to get across to the Jewellery Quarter.

Are there any temporary provisions you could take to make these journeys better?

Response from BCC

Good afternoon Jez,

Thank you for your email. We agree, with all the work going on in the city centre at the moment conditions for all road users are currently difficult in a number of areas. Whilst we are working hard to keep the city moving there are lessons to be learnt and we will be taking your comments on board as well as sharing such feedback with our partners.

With regard to cycling around Broad Street, we think that cyclists probably have a couple of options at the moment:

• Use Bridge Street and Holliday Street (NCN5) as usual, but taking extra care. As you’ve seen, we’re trying to get cars to use Gas Street, so the volume of traffic on Bridge Street is likely to be similar to previously, but it will be buses in the main so the usual advice for cycling around large vehicles applies. I’ll also drop National Express a message to ask if they would remind their drivers to be especially aware of cyclists on Bridge Street/Holliday Street. https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/50122/cycling_in_birmingham/1395...
  • Ride for most of the journey then dismount and mix with pedestrians for short section. From Symphony Hall cyclists could use Cambridge Street, walking for the one way section, then cross the Queensway by Sandpits, or could walk via Bridge Street and Holliday Street if they are not confident/sufficiently experienced to mix with the buses.

We are aware this isn’t ideal, but that part of the city centre is under enormous pressure for space at the moment, and safety has to be the number one consideration in advice for cyclists negotiating the area.

Midland Metro Alliance are meeting with Sustrans throughout this to discuss the best way to accommodate cyclists.

On a positive note, much of the work currently being undertaken in the city at the moment is designed to prioritise public transport, walking and cycling (rather than car use). 

Once again than you for your comments. If colleagues or partners provide me with any further comments to add to the above I will let you know.

Best regards,

Bristol Road shared use cycle path cars and bins on it late at night. Covered in leaves as well at this time of year.

As an infrequent visitor, without the benefit of constant awareness of the various developments it is perhaps even worse than being a first time visitor.

I would gain a massive benefit from having greater clarity, and advance warning of diversions and blocked routes, as the basic approach of widely omitting signage, and assuming that pedestrian and cycle traffic will magically find a route to flow through with a minimum of design and costly construction, and added as an afterthought once the road layout has been defined.

<rant>   

Yes it is. I don't like it. I need to change my tyres but they are wearing out faster with the leaves. I can tell because I can hear the rubbery com-plunk noise when I run over sticks and bottles hiding underneath the piles of leaves. You can't use you brakes either or you'll slip, slide, and fall down.

Robert Jones said:

Bristol Road shared use cycle path cars and bins on it late at night. Covered in leaves as well at this time of year.

Besides Belgrave Middle Way this is the 2nd worst part of the A38 Bristol Road. You have to re-join the road where cars and trucks turn left! I NEVER pull out on the green light. I wait till the signal is red and traffic stops then I pull out into the Cycle Box. But its a STUPID design. I've had some proper near misses here with close passes. The cycle path is shared on the other side but for some stupid reason its not shared here and there is no crossing either! (Likely reason the girl on the Pershore Road got hit because of these stupid dangerous designs!!!!)

Dave Holladay said:

As an infrequent visitor, without the benefit of constant awareness of the various developments it is perhaps even worse than being a first time visitor.

I would gain a massive benefit from having greater clarity, and advance warning of diversions and blocked routes, as the basic approach of widely omitting signage, and assuming that pedestrian and cycle traffic will magically find a route to flow through with a minimum of design and costly construction, and added as an afterthought once the road layout has been defined.

<rant>   

Double yellow line parking restrictions apply to the rear edge (ie outside) of the footway & cycleway unless otherwise indicated - get some keen parking attendants out to issue tickets or get the car towed away....

Paul Rigby Volvo - if continues - call in & ask to speak to Paul - suspect he will not want this to be repeated given Volvo commitments in support cycling. BTW in Sweden - car would have been "removed" within hours of a report

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Site Sponsors

Latest Activity

Tom H commented on LS's photo
Thumbnail

NCN5 at Dogpool Lane

"they are tighter, you can see from the concreting underneath that they are significantly wider than…"
4 hours ago
On Your Bike replied to doug salmon's discussion On Your Bike
"No problem. Any time."
5 hours ago
Andrew W commented on LS's photo
Thumbnail

NCN5 at Dogpool Lane

"I think they are a lot tighter now.  Almost had a clipless moment going South yesterday. …"
6 hours ago
Ryan Stait replied to john butler's discussion A38 cycle route
"Few new lane markings on Bristol St/Belgrave Middleway junction when I came out of town this…"
yesterday
Kim replied to john butler's discussion A38 cycle route
"This is a problem with shared paths generally.  The signs and markings are generally…"
yesterday
LS replied to Chad's discussion GU Canal (Tyseley)
"I cycled the Cole Valley route to work for 13 years which included the short stretch of canal at…"
yesterday
Chad replied to Chad's discussion GU Canal (Tyseley)
"I have cycled this route for nigh on 20 years and it is only since the upgrade that I have ever…"
yesterday
James Russell might attend LS's event
Thumbnail

HSBC Let's Ride Birmingham at Route to be confirmed

June 10, 2018 from 9am to 4pm
What used to be called SkyRide / BikeFest / City RideSee More
yesterday
Dave Cox is attending LS's event
Thumbnail

HSBC Let's Ride Birmingham at Route to be confirmed

June 10, 2018 from 9am to 4pm
What used to be called SkyRide / BikeFest / City RideSee More
Tuesday
Andrew Walsh replied to Chad's discussion GU Canal (Tyseley)
"Last Friday afternoon (18th May) I came across another cyclist on that same stretch of canal who…"
Tuesday
Chad posted a discussion

GU Canal (Tyseley)

Now that the weather has turned in their favour, it would appear the locals are back out…See More
Tuesday
Andrew Walsh is now a member of Birmingham Cyclist
Monday
ARKrider replied to LS's discussion A38 Work to start end of February
"Any updates/photos on the new cycle highway? Not living in Birmingham anymore sad to say so I have…"
Monday
ARKrider replied to john butler's discussion A38 cycle route
"I would not of minded either way. If they did keep it as a shared cycle path, the pedestrian…"
Monday
James G replied to James G's discussion Cheap but good tyres, £6 per pair
"Hi, yes all still available."
Monday
Andrew W replied to James G's discussion Cheap but good tyres, £6 per pair
"Do you still have the 28s?"
Monday

© 2018   Created by LS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service