Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

City Centre Road Improvements good for buses but neglect cycling and walking

Buses are a key and popular part of the transport mix but current proposals for City Centre Road Improvements from WMCA and Birmingham City Council have not been "cycle proofed". They create problems and dangers for cyclists and walkers especially in Bath Row. This is in contradiction to Birmingham Connected and Connected for Growth strategies which recognise that cycling and walking should be seen as a key part of the transport mix for the future.

There is a particular safety problem around the proposed "bus gate" in Bath Row and a missed opportunity for a cycling contra-flow lane on Cambridge St.

Please look at this excellent detailed analysis by Chris Lowe Chair of Push Bikes and, if you agree, respond and object to these proposals before the consultation ends on March 21st.

What's wrong with Bath Row Bus Gate proposals?

Just send your response to the WMCA and remind them of their own West Midlands Cycling Charter. All road changes and improvements should be promoting active travel for the future.

Views: 355

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've responded supporting  Push Bikes proposals.

Also the Harborne Road bus lane proposals make no mention of BCR Phase 3 plans which were -

Five Ways to Greenfield Crescent - Shared-use footway with segregation
Greenfield Crescent to Augustus Road - Segregated two-way cycle track, inc road widening where required
Highfield Road junction - Junction upgrade to include new pedestrian and cycle stages on signals
Vicarage Road junction - Junction upgrade to include new pedestrian and cycle stages on signals
Augustus Road junction - Junction upgrade to include new traffic signals with pedestrian and cycle stages
Augustus Road to Nursery Road - Cycle lanes with segregation where possible
Harborne Local Centre - Minor measures to make local centre more cycle friendly

See here 

Although these plans have probably been mothballed it would make sense to resurrect them if changes are going to happen for buses.

Yes, I agree the current rush hour slow  queue from Harborne High Street to 5 ways begs for a modal  shift to a off road cycle facility I may have worked on

Please be aware that the bs gate on Bath Row issue is being tried to be addressed Dave

Forum thoughts would be helpful so please fire away

Not sure the off-road facility. i.e. Harborne Walkway is the solution. It's there already and I never use it for commuting even though it's 1 minute from my front-door. It takes about 20 minutes longer into town.  Lovely for walks and family rides though.

With a bit of vision the wide footpath opposite the White Swan could be used as a segregated cycle lane avoiding the death trap that, that junction is.

As LS points out there were plans for this and I went to a meeting about it in 2015. Hopefully it will be back on the agenda if the A34 and A38 are a success as plenty of people ride into the City that way

Former Highwayman said:

Yes, I agree the current rush hour slow  queue from Harborne High Street to 5 ways begs for a modal  shift to a off road cycle facility I may have worked on

George Road, the ring road crossing and Bath Row should have two way separated cycle lanes to make it safe for cyclists of all ages and abilities. I'm in Palma where this type of infrastructure is common and well used. Yet another city that is doing the right thing and not just building for motorists even though car ownership is high.

Former Highwayman said:

Please be aware that the bs gate on Bath Row issue is being tried to be addressed Dave

Forum thoughts would be helpful so please fire away

The wide footway was part of proposals I may hav ebeen involved with

Ryan Stait said:

Not sure the off-road facility. i.e. Harborne Walkway is the solution. It's there already and I never use it for commuting even though it's 1 minute from my front-door. It takes about 20 minutes longer into town.  Lovely for walks and family rides though.

With a bit of vision the wide footpath opposite the White Swan could be used as a segregated cycle lane avoiding the death trap that, that junction is.

As LS points out there were plans for this and I went to a meeting about it in 2015. Hopefully it will be back on the agenda if the A34 and A38 are a success as plenty of people ride into the City that way

Former Highwayman said:

Birmingham Council never think, care, or plan for cycling when reconstructing road designs in the city. They miss opportunity every single time to make travelling safer! When I moved to Birmingham in 2013, I noticed this until I moved away in January 2018. 

2013: Digbeth Circle cycle lane removed and barrier installed to stop cars. But cycle lane was NEVER replaced, or put back.

2014: Pershore Road gets a 3rd lane (bus lane) squeezed into an already narrow road with no consideration for cyclists/pedestrians

2015: Bordesly Roundabout is redesigned to create a better motor traffic flow with no cycling considered. No cycle lanes/signals or crossings.

2015-2016: Tram line is installed on Corp Street with no consideration for cyclists, and cyclists are now banned from using the street. 

2018: Plans for new bus lanes/bus gates through and around Birmingham have no cycle planning what so ever!

In addition I strongly feel a 2-way cycle track could and should be made to cross over the ring road from Bath Row. I also think a 4-way traffic light NEEDS to be installed near the Tesco! I used to cycle that way for university and the city library, and for an advisory cycling route, the crossroad at the Tesco on Bathrow is insanity!   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAo7B2I_RUA

Thanks for the feedback Gents!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Site Sponsors

Latest Activity

Keith Dodds replied to LS's discussion Edgbaston Tunnel Tow Path Widening
"Who's wondering if they could bunny hop down all that now :-)"
2 hours ago
Peter Leadbetter is now a member of Birmingham Cyclist
2 hours ago
LS replied to LS's discussion Edgbaston Tunnel Tow Path Widening
"I think it will open on Friday 18th May if not sooner."
5 hours ago
UoB Smartmover replied to LS's discussion Edgbaston Tunnel Tow Path Widening
"It's not due to open for another…"
6 hours ago
LS replied to LS's discussion Edgbaston Tunnel Tow Path Widening
"It wasn't two hours ago.  "
22 hours ago
On Your Bike replied to LS's discussion Edgbaston Tunnel Tow Path Widening
"Hello Does anyone know if the towpath is open now? Thanks Adam"
23 hours ago
Robert Jones replied to Robert Jones's discussion Rea Valley Route Stirchley Fordhouse Lane
"Is there any hope of getting anyone from BCC to get involved in this? Any ideas anyone. It's…"
yesterday
Andrew George replied to Andrew George's discussion Any sheffield stands in the Jewelry quarter
"Hello LS, Thanks very much! I replied to that consultation when it was open, as there's a…"
Sunday
LS replied to Andrew George's discussion Any sheffield stands in the Jewelry quarter
"There are 3 stands on the edge of Golden Square behind Rose Villa Tavern. Some at the train/metro…"
Friday
Andrew George posted a discussion

Any sheffield stands in the Jewelry quarter

Hello everyone!I'm hoping to tap into other's knowledge of cycle parking in and around the city…See More
Apr 13
LS posted events
Apr 12
Kim replied to LS's discussion A38 Work to start end of February
"I went and found the original artist's impression, and that just showed magic paint, which is…"
Apr 12
LS replied to LS's discussion A38 Work to start end of February
"I noticed it looks like it will be raised about a foot above the grass and wonder if there will be…"
Apr 11
Kim replied to LS's discussion A38 Work to start end of February
"Some photos of current progress on twitter:…"
Apr 11
Former Highwayman replied to Dave Cox's discussion City Centre Road Improvements good for buses but neglect cycling and walking
"Thanks for the feedback Gents!"
Apr 11
Shivaji Shiva replied to Shivaji Shiva's discussion Trains and Bikes -- Severn Valley Railway
"Thanks everyone - some really helpful tips!"
Apr 9

© 2018   Created by LS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service