Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

This short stretch of cycle lane on Yardley Green Road in Bordesley Green has been removed and replaced with parking bays for 25 cars. And people wonder why cycling rates here are so low.

Tags: crap

Views: 277

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Who are the Councillors? And which, if any, are Labour?

No idea. I was told the cycle lane was put in because the homeowners complained about cars blocking their drives rather than to benefit cyclists. Now there are white lines at each driveway to prevent this.

Poor show.  When were the cycle lanes installed?  My daily commute used to be Garretts Green to city centre.  I tried Yardley Green Road but quickly gave up and used Bordesley Green East instead.  At least there's a bus lane.

About five years ago. A new senior school is opening soon where the lane used to end.

was told the cycle lane was put in because the homeowners complained about cars blocking their drives rather than to benefit cyclists. Now there are white lines at each driveway to prevent this.

By who? Just because other "prevention" tools exist does not justify removal of the lane, especially as it was a mandatory (solid line) one!

Media contacted yet? Removes whole point of any scrutiny operation, LSTF travel plans and so on.

Given the general level of council talk about sustainable transport, road safety, and so on, this is a useful example of action that runs counter to the narrative.

I suppose that that a couple of well-aimed letters to senior Council members might produce a quick U-turn on this, purely for symbolic purposes. It might even be worth adding a comment to the Green Living consultation via Nick Grayson

So, here's what I've found in 2 minutes of searching.

Yardley Green Road spans most of Bordesley Green and across the Cole into South Yardley; it runs from Hob Moor to Wash Lane.

Which ward is the former lane section in?

Bordesley Green Ward Councillors
Councillor     Political Party
Mohammed Aikhlaq     Labour
Shafique Shah     Labour
Uzma Ahmed     Labour

South Yardley Ward Councillors
Councillor    Political Party    
David Willis    Liberal Democrat    
Nawaz Ali    Labour    
Zafar Iqbal    Labour   

I think that as 5 of 6 Cllrs are Labour, they'll be wanting to show they're following the new party line. Perhaps they just need a reminder from above.

The senior cabinet member for green city stuff is James McKay. I suspect a short, sharp note to him will prompt a useful response.

Green, Safe and Smart City     
Councillor James McKay (Harborne)
Tel: (0121) 303 1369
Email: James.McKay@birmingham.gov.uk

Would be worth cc'ing Cllr Quinn too.
Overview and Scrutiny Committees - Transport, Connectivity and Sustainability     
Councillor Victoria Quinn (Sparkbrook)
Tel: (0121) 303 2039
Email: Victoria.Quinn@birmingham.gov.uk

I expect it has been done to provide spaces for the kids to be dropped off at senior school.

Nice evidence of motorists driving on the pavement... ;)

This is how it is now. 

This is how it is now.

Well surely that is "evidence" that the demand is there for the over-taxed and over-burdened motorists to park in this space? Cyclists don't pay any fee to use the road, whereas cars do through VED and fuel duty, so the space is rightfully theirs. Who do these two wheeled taliban think they are, saying that they should lebensraum the roads just to indulge their niche hobby? We don't hand the road over to any other hobbyists, so why cyclists? They'll be closing the road next - we have had too much creep in their direction and I'm glad to see it reversed.

Oh - did someone say there was a change in attitude at the council?

The problem is British roads are just too narrow for cycle lanes:

Not to mention people cloning reg plates and other complicated schemes just to dodge vehicle tax.

Thick-headed white van man doesn't realise that he'd pay no tax, no insurance, no petrol at all if he had a cargo bike.

That would leave rich people and their Mercs to pay for it. And the rest of us could pay our infrastructure tax and actually get some use from it.

Robert said:

The problem is British roads are just too narrow for cycle lanes:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Ash U. replied to Mortus Diablo's discussion Dangerous drivers thread
"Thought you were being tongue-in-cheek for a moment, then I realised you were serious. Sorry, but…"
9 hours ago
Klaus replied to Richard Smith's discussion Help needed re Harborne Walkway
"If you want a refreshment stop in Harborne, a new café opposite the Swimming pool, Boo Boo,…"
11 hours ago
Surrinder Kumar replied to Richard Smith's discussion Help needed re Harborne Walkway
"Avoid it on a rainy day as the surface mix is like cement and mucks your bike running gear!!!!"
11 hours ago
Ian-C replied to CKS's discussion Pope says, "avoid fast cars and ride a bike instead"
"What the bloody heel does he know he gets carried everywhere in a chair "
11 hours ago
Robert replied to Alex Bamford's discussion Shared Pathways
"Roadcraft isn't just about rules of the road.   Hazard perception applies wherever…"
12 hours ago
danwentskiing replied to Alex Bamford's discussion Shared Pathways
"I'm not a anti-social cyclist, but I am realistic about what other people's perceptions…"
12 hours ago
Richard Smith replied to Richard Smith's discussion Help needed re Harborne Walkway
"Many thanks.....walkway here I come. Look forward to using the new route down by Ackers too."
13 hours ago
Doug replied to Darren Cash's discussion More people cycling ?
"Lost count of the number of cyclists on the way home from work tonight - at least 50…"
13 hours ago
Savlona replied to Alex Bamford's discussion Shared Pathways
"This is precisely what I am trying to teach my boys at the moment. Sadly, it's a concept many…"
14 hours ago
Robert replied to Richard Smith's discussion Help needed re Harborne Walkway
"Though there is a very steep climb from Park Hill Road, which is why Forest Drive is better for…"
15 hours ago
LS replied to Richard Smith's discussion Help needed re Harborne Walkway
"Or round the corner on Park Hill Road"
15 hours ago
James Russell replied to Alex Bamford's discussion Shared Pathways
"Sounds good  advice to me. "
16 hours ago
Robert replied to Richard Smith's discussion Help needed re Harborne Walkway
"Forest Drive."
16 hours ago
Richard Smith posted a discussion

Help needed re Harborne Walkway

I hope someone can help me.I'm going for a spin this week and was hoping to use the Harborne…See More
17 hours ago
Robert replied to Alex Bamford's discussion Shared Pathways
"When you drive a car and you encounter a complex traffic situation, you slow down below the speed…"
18 hours ago
Simon replied to Alex Bamford's discussion Shared Pathways
"TBH, I don't find it a problem slowing down on paths after riding in traffic.....but then my…"
18 hours ago

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by LS.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service