Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

Some new consultations...

https://www.birminghambeheard.org.uk

Views: 10594

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not everyone lives where you do, Ian.   For someone living in, say, Hatfield Road, the phase 1 cycleway will be easily accessible and will provide a cycle route into the city centre that requires no special skills, nor nerves of steel.   In fact a child could make the journey, and on a very ordinary bike.   And do you really need to be a confident cyclist to (ab)use a pedestrian crossing in the way I suggested?

I'd really prefer something small but good like this that might attract local families than a waste of money on paint and ASLs that changes nothing. Given the news this morning though, cycling really needs proper investment -advice recommending covering up babies in an attempt to protect them from air pollution on the school run shows we've reached a new low.

Fair point, but there is no point building half a cycle highway to Perry Bar if you don't have the money or recourse to finish it off. Its like building a new motorway to London but it stop half way. No one is going to use it or if so very little as it does not go the distance.

The route to Selly Oak plans are much better completed. As the resources are available it can be built in one go, therefore when it is finished its likely to be much more heavily used. London did the same with the cycle highways on the embankment. They built it over 2 years connecting it all in one go over the 2 years. 

Could you imagine how few cyclist would use the London cycle highways if they built half of it in 2 years then said "We don't have enough money, resources or plans for the next phase. Lets leave it unfinished just meters from Blackfrairs Bridge, and make it tricky for cyclists".

Like no one would be cycling on there if they did not complete it. This is what they need to do with the A34! It needs to be a completed plan that goes from A (City Centre near Childrens Hospital) to Perry Bar (One Stop). If it stops half way and can't be completed for another 2-3 years without phase 2 plans the cycle route on the A34 is as good as useless really. 

Robert said:

Your argument is an argument for never starting, since there are never going to be the resources available to magic into place all in one go the changes that need to be made to bring Birmingham's infrastructure into the 21st century.   Don't forget that if BCC don't make a start, the government will simply take back the CCAG money, and you'll get nothing.

There are lots of places this route wont take you, including the One Stop Shopping Wotnot, but like the Rea Valley Route, it will encourage people to make journeys by bike that they would otherwise not make, and that strengthens the argument for doing more to allow people to cycle safely.   As for Perry Barr, you're right, it does need major work done to it, which is why it is being left for a later phase.

ARKrider said:

If the council does not have the resources they should wait till they do have such resources.

The options are: 

1. Build it in sections

2. Dont build it at all

There is no other option.

Simple choice. I'm going for the former as that means we'll end up with a reasonable cycle route, that is still useful to a number of people before the second section is started.

Doesnt matter how many times you demand fully segregated lanes on every dc in brum, all by next week, it aint going to happen.  Further more it undermines your position when you actually ask for something that is achievable as youve already demonstrated that you dont really have a grasp of the reality of implementing a useable cycle network in the current economic and political environment.

Thank you for opening that door.   In the 1980s I made many trips to Swansea and back along the M4.   Unfortunately when I was making that journey the M4 didn't get as far as Swansea (it ended at Port Talbot).   A brief history of the M4 is:

• the Ministry of Transport announced plans for the M4 as one of the first major post-war trunk road improvement projects in 1956.   They originally intended that the M4 would terminate at Tredegar Park west of Newport.
  • The English section of the motorway was completed on 22 December 1971 when the 50-mile (80 km) stretch between Junctions 9 and 15 (Maidenhead and Swindon) was opened to traffic.
  • The Welsh section (as far as just North of Pontarddulais) was completed in 1993.

By your argument, the government should have waited until the late 1980s to start building the M4.   Fortunately for me (and millions of other people) they didn't, which meant I had a motorway for most of my journey.   Yes it also meant I had to tolerate the awful connection between Port Talbot and Swansea, but better that than an awful road for over hundred and fifty miles, don't you think?

ARKrider said:

Fair point, but there is no point building half a cycle highway to Perry Bar if you don't have the money or recourse to finish it off. Its like building a new motorway to London but it stop half way. No one is going to use it or if so very little as it does not go the distance.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Site Sponsors

Latest Activity

Adam Hyford is now a member of Birmingham Cyclist
7 hours ago
Kim replied to Robert Jones's discussion Bikes in Supermarkets
"I've only ever done it with my Brompton, which does a passable impression of a shopping basket…"
11 hours ago
Steve replied to Robert Jones's discussion Scooters / Mopeds / Motorbikes in Bicycle Lanes
"If there's a no motor vehicles sign, which it appear there is, they have no business being…"
11 hours ago
Kim replied to Robert Jones's discussion Scooters / Mopeds / Motorbikes in Bicycle Lanes
"In many ways, this is a symptom of cycle infrastructure that's actually worth using.  The…"
11 hours ago
Simon commented on LS's event 'BikeFest 2017'
"As a temporary marshal...that was the best bit ;-) Wish I could go but otherwise engaged on the…"
13 hours ago
Dave Cox is attending LS's event
Thumbnail

BikeFest 2017 at TBC

June 11, 2017 from 9am to 4pm
Now called HSBC City RideDetails TBC See More
15 hours ago
Keith Dodds replied to Robert Jones's discussion Scooters / Mopeds / Motorbikes in Bicycle Lanes
"If a car goes into the ASL it means the lights will magically go green for them doesn't it?…"
15 hours ago
Keith Dodds replied to Robert Jones's discussion Bikes in Supermarkets
"I take mine and the lads trike into Sainsbury's Kings Heath at least one evening a week never…"
15 hours ago
Ryan Stait replied to Robert Jones's discussion Bikes in Supermarkets
"I take my bike into Sainsburys Selly Oak if I haven't got my lock with me. Never had any…"
16 hours ago
LS replied to Robert Jones's discussion Bikes in Supermarkets
"I often take my bike into supermarkets, usually if I don't have a lock or key with me. If…"
17 hours ago
Tom H replied to Robert Jones's discussion Scooters / Mopeds / Motorbikes in Bicycle Lanes
"rules 140 and 178 of the highway code. Rule 178 about ASLs is explicit that motorcyclists…"
18 hours ago
Robert Jones replied to Robert's discussion Birmingham Pride
"That's quite a tale."
yesterday
Robert Jones posted discussions
yesterday
Robert posted a discussion

Birmingham Pride

I've just had this through from BCC:Thousands of people are expected to turn out for the…See More
yesterday
Andrew W replied to LS's discussion Small Heath Bridge Closure
"I find it hard to imagine something that ugly being installed in the city centre"
May 18
Tom H replied to LS's discussion Small Heath Bridge Closure
"wtf :("
May 18

© 2017   Created by LS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service