Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

Some new consultations...

https://www.birminghambeheard.org.uk

Views: 11148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It appears to be for ghost bikes...

Bikes that could phase through solid matter would solve all sorts of parking problems...

Page 38, a cycle hub (?)

Just thought I'd post about the Selly Oak triangle consultation that happened at the end of last year, with zero cycling infrastructure for the new junction - clearly lots of people responded as have had an email from the council mentioning this and in the council documents they linked to it says this, amongst the list of changes:

• Cycle Measures: - Segregated two way cycle track along Bristol Road with single phase cycle crossing at Harborne Lane junction and single / diagonal cycle crossing at Chapel Lane junction. - Segregated two way cycle track along Harborne Lane. - The Drawing No. CA-02722_S1_005 attached as Appendix E2 shows the connectivity of the cycle measures proposed as part of the SONR 1B project to the wider existing / proposed measures in the Selly Oak area.

https://birmingham.cmis.uk.com/birmingham/Meetings/tabid/70/ctl/Vie...

on page 4 of the first document rleating to this.

This sounds really positive right? Like they will actually be segregating this junction fully, both along the bristol road and the connecting road towards harborne? I've just realised there's a diagram I haven't looked at yet.

Hopefully we can get this linked up to the delayed A38 cycle lane from the Uni, via Selly Oak high street, rather than the shared pavements on the bypass (up and down a hill, and around selly oak, rather than just downor up and straight through.)

Good news Tom. Hopefully Cllr Stacey keeps his job long enough for some of this to be implemented.

Whilst it's an improvement, BCC is still desperately hanging on to the urban motorway it built on Selly Oak High Street.   This is so they can feed traffic down Bournbrook High Street to share the load with the Selly Oak new road.   So these two high streets will remain crushed under the wheels of King Car.   Note the shared-use paths and give-way-to-the-motor-traffic crossings.   Note the multi-stage pedestrian crossings that will ensure the area remains deeply unattractive if you're not in a motor vehicle.   Much of what I wrote in this blog post remains true, sadly.

I'm not the only one calling for a 21st century proposal, which would see through private motor traffic restricted to the Selly Oak new road and the high streets restored.   This would create space for people, including people on bikes.   And people bring trade, as was found when New Street was pedestrianised.   Car drivers generally just bring pollution and congestion.

I call it a 21st century solution, but really I'm just asking for what continental Europeans have been enjoying since the end of the previous century, as I showed in my blog post.   Our streets don't have to be rammed with cars.

yes, just a note to say when I said Selly Oak High Street I meant Bournbrook High Street (ie: the whole length from the Tescos near the University south gate to the sainsbury's triangle, past selly oak train station.

Hadn't considered Gibbins Road etc. and yes clearly this junction is still doing nothing for getting the motorised traffic reduced. Everything should be pushed around the bypass really, other than bikes and buses. 

At least it should give cyclists a safe way to cross this junction, linking in Northfield and Longbdridge to the A38 cycle lane via the existing shared pavements. Not a proper solution obviously but it always seemed a bit pointless to me to put in the cycle lane from the university and not deal with the junction blocking anyone from cycling in from the large residential areas further south west.

Have they done a pollution impact assessment? I feel a legal challenge coming on to delay it by many months at least.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Site Sponsors

Latest Activity

Joanna Klaces replied to Joanna Klaces's discussion Cyclist safety - again
"sorry - that's a no to both - would love to be in touch with the women's group - not sure…"
30 minutes ago
Philip Whiteman replied to Philip Whiteman's discussion Velo Midland 2018
"Ian, I think you misunderstand. This is merely a report on the latest situation regarding the local…"
2 hours ago
ian robathan replied to Philip Whiteman's discussion Velo Midland 2018
"I have to say you really are a bitter little NIMBY aren't you ? The event was fantastic and…"
3 hours ago
David replied to Joanna Klaces's discussion Cyclist safety - again
"Apologies for delay in replying to this. Have you been in contact with WMP via twitter? And have…"
4 hours ago
Philip Whiteman posted a discussion

Velo Midland 2018

No, the title of this thread is not incorrect.Velo Birmingham 2017 was possibly one of the most…See More
6 hours ago
Jason Davies replied to Robert Jones's discussion Birmingham Crown Court / Magistrates Court Parking
"Otter occupied by a bike Richard? Sounds painful lol. Original post reminded me of something that…"
Tuesday
Joanna Klaces replied to Joanna Klaces's discussion Cyclist safety - again
"Sorry, I do want to feel that Police are keeping, or trying to help keep cyclists safe. But I have…"
Tuesday
Richard D replied to Robert Jones's discussion Birmingham Crown Court / Magistrates Court Parking
"Otter occupied by a bike with no back wheel/no saddle. I'd trust them about as far as I'd…"
Tuesday
ian robathan replied to Steve's discussion Show me the money
"well good old May in West Mids today and welcome cash for the Metro and for cycling, well guess…"
Monday
doug salmon replied to Joanna Klaces's discussion Cyclist safety - again
"Very pleased to hear attitudes have changed since asking for their help following being the victim…"
Monday
Dave Holladay replied to Steve's discussion Show me the money
"You need to be a qualifier for the Darwin Awards to land in the groove on that section - cyclist…"
Sunday
Dave Holladay replied to Hanah's discussion Metro construction around Victoria Square
"Of course they'll keep doing this until one of the gas fuelled catering chalets goes up in…"
Sunday
Steve replied to Steve's discussion Show me the money
"Getting back to then original point, does anyone know how much of the £46 million has been…"
Sunday
"It means the council can deny liability when the inevitable happens and a cyclist gets their wheel…"
Sunday
ARKrider replied to Steve's discussion Show me the money
"Money well spent on mandatory cycling signs in Birmingham? could of been better spent on signs…"
Sunday
"If it’s in a red circle it’s mandatory"
Sunday

© 2017   Created by LS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service