Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

Paramedics were called to Sherlock Street, at around 12.20pm, on Monday afternoon.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/updates-cyclist-...

Bad News. Hope they have a quick and full recovery.

Views: 463

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

IMHO any argument which says that it is somehow understandable to ride into a parked vehicle or that the parked vehicle is somehow partly to blame, allows the argument that it is understandable for a car to mow down a cyclist from behind.
If this rider has ridden into a stationary vehicle then he/she has not been paying as much attention as they should. Period. The lorry is no more to blame than a set of road works be. You need to look where you're going folks (whatever shape your bike).

totally agree Andy and as usual in these cases we ay never know the full facts as unlikely it will go to court. Of course report mentions he was wearing no helmet but again it is s if they somehow contributed to his injuries.

There's a difference between 'understandable' and blaming the stationary object.  As I suggested upthread, circumstances such as mechanical failure, sudden overwhelming distraction, or failing to move out due to the actions of another road user could explain how it happened.  None of those mean the lorry was at fault, and in most of them the rider would still be responsible.

Earlier this summer I had a crash while descending at almost 40mph.  As far as I could tell, the cause was striking a larger pebble (or similar small object which was nowhere to be found when I went back to look for whatever I hit), resulting in a snakebite puncture of the front inner tube.  The tyre deflated within a second, causing me to lose steering control and then fall from the bike.  Before coming to a stop, the sliding bike hit the front of a stationary car, causing minor damage.  This was obviously my responsibility, and my insurance paid for the car's repairs on that basis.  You could argue that you should never cycle at speed on roads that might have unseen hazards on them (ie. all of them), but this certainly wasn't due to lack of attention (I don't cycle at that kind of speed without keeping a sharp eye out for potholes; there were none).

Another example:  A year or two ago, I was cycling along the Bristol Road, when a pedestrian spat at me.  They were incredibly lucky, in that the spit hit my right in the face, liberally covering my cheek and glasses.  This shocked me, and partially obscured my view of the road for several seconds until I pulled my glasses down my nose and squinted over the top of them to come to a controlled stop a safe distance away from the person who I had just been assulted by.  If there had been some hazard immediately in front of me when it happened, I may not have successfully avoided it.  Indeed, given the split-second decision between crashing into a known stationary vehicle and attempting to swerve around it in traffic while partially blinded, I may have deliberately chosen the former.

Another example:  Some time ago, I had just set off from home to ride to some cycling event in Canon Hill Park.  Just as my bike got up to cruising speed, a gust of wind blew a Tesco bag across the road.  I swerved to avoid it, but failed, and the bag wrapped itself around my rear derailleur, pulling it into the spokes and locking the wheel.  My bike immediately skidded to a halt - it was all I could do to keep it upright by aiming in a straight line.  Fortunately I wasn't manoeuvring round a parked vehicle at the time, and I was unhurt.  (The wheel needed several new spokes, the derailleur was a write-off and the Tesco bag suffered frustratingly little damage.)

It's certainly not the lorry's fault.  But it may not entirely be the cyclist's.

Andy White said:

IMHO any argument which says that it is somehow understandable to ride into a parked vehicle or that the parked vehicle is somehow partly to blame, allows the argument that it is understandable for a car to mow down a cyclist from behind.
If this rider has ridden into a stationary vehicle then he/she has not been paying as much attention as they should. Period. The lorry is no more to blame than a set of road works be. You need to look where you're going folks (whatever shape your bike).
Agreed Kim. However my post was intended to raise caution against the, all too prevalent, habit of blaming the vehicle and absolving the cyclist in any situation. This cuts both ways and we shouldn't come to conclusions on flimsy information. I too was guilty of this and I expressed my argument badly.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Site Sponsors

Latest Activity

Dave Holladay replied to Maya CycleHack's discussion London Midland CycleHack Challenge | Monday 30th October 2017
"Use the escalators (when they are running) with the caveat that several platforms have substandard…"
18 hours ago
Robert replied to Maya CycleHack's discussion London Midland CycleHack Challenge | Monday 30th October 2017
"I wouldn't bank on it.   Crosscountry Trains are owned by Deutsche Bahn, but…"
21 hours ago
Robert Jones replied to Maya CycleHack's discussion London Midland CycleHack Challenge | Monday 30th October 2017
"The company taking over from London Midland are Dutch so maybe things will improve."
21 hours ago
Kim replied to Maya CycleHack's discussion London Midland CycleHack Challenge | Monday 30th October 2017
"While I can rant endlessly about the new New Street station, the lifts are the main thing…"
23 hours ago
Robert replied to LS's discussion Bike Hire scheme
"Apparently dockless systems are causing significant problems in the Netherlands."
yesterday
Robert replied to Maya CycleHack's discussion London Midland CycleHack Challenge | Monday 30th October 2017
"I'm on the Push Bikes committee, but I wont be attending this event as it is during work hours…"
yesterday
Kim replied to Maya CycleHack's discussion London Midland CycleHack Challenge | Monday 30th October 2017
"I'm on the list!"
yesterday
Profile IconKim and Dave Cox are attending Imran Anwar's event

London Midland CycleHack at Icentrun Labs by London Midland

October 30, 2017 from 9:30am to 5pm
Want to improve the experience of travelling by train with bicycles, for both cyclists and…See More
yesterday
Imran Anwar commented on Imran Anwar's event 'London Midland CycleHack'
"Hi @Dave, This event will be different for the Demo Days that we run as part of the Innovation…"
yesterday
Dave Cox commented on Imran Anwar's event 'London Midland CycleHack'
"I've been to a previous Labs event at Icentrum and it was very interesting but that was about…"
yesterday
Maya CycleHack replied to Maya CycleHack's discussion London Midland CycleHack Challenge | Monday 30th October 2017
"Hi Robert,  Thanks for the message, these are all really great points. And thank you for…"
yesterday
Maya CycleHack replied to Maya CycleHack's discussion London Midland CycleHack Challenge | Monday 30th October 2017
"Hi Kim, These are all fantastic points and not too cynical at all. We would really appreciate these…"
yesterday
"Hi there, thanks for sharing this image, this is really useful. We would love to have you there on…"
yesterday
Andrew W replied to Laura's discussion Cycle/cyclist friendly venues
"I think it is just the way they are.  I tend to go there rather than the MAC for snackage as I…"
Wednesday
Joan is now a member of Birmingham Cyclist
Wednesday
Kim replied to Laura's discussion Cycle/cyclist friendly venues
"Yeah, I've lead rides from there in the past that have been delayed by the speed of hot food,…"
Wednesday

© 2017   Created by LS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service