Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

Lorry Driver pleads guilty to dangerous driving

BBC Story on Kings Heath fatal crash

sentence will be handed down on 2nd April.

Views: 5150

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Looking very nice.

I've been looking into an FoI type request on a similar sort of issue, and will eventually get round to requesting copies of Cabinet level discussion on the topic. If that doesn't get results, then the idea is to work from top down through departments. A similar approach is worth considering on this question.

Regarding letters, it's been said that individual letters - even idential ones - carry more weight than letters with lots of signatories, because the latter are sometimes regarded as coming from 'one' individual/organisation.

Dave Holladay said:

Some of this could be the makings of an open letter - in Birmingham paper asking the Council why they had not acted on this report and why such information fails to be presented to the coroner.

...(snip)...

There are just too many people who have the need to write such letters in public to their local Council, Coroner, TAO, etc to ask why?   

Nazan, there's a typo/confusion over where people will meet. One bit says meet at the High Street entrance, whilst another mentions Shutlock Lane. I think the Shutlock Lane bit is probably extraneous and confusing - unless people are planning to drive, park, then walk through Highbury to the High street.

Nazan Fennell said:

Nazan, would you like us to play music, like at Critical Mass, the vintage ride, and the flashride, or would you rather we remain quiet?

Spoke to Rhia and I wonder how big this might get? If it gets big can people assemble in Highbury Park for example, and afterwards a place to disperse from? Is there an outline for timings?

London ride to High Holborn was amazing - in 24 hours over 2500 arranged to turn up and assembled in Russell Square dispersed from Lincoln's Inn Fields. Really showed the power and effectiveness of doing it with bikes - riders in from all points and suddenly a huge number - a very short but very big ride, and then within 20 minutes the mass of riders had melted away.

I've DM'd as I think there may be a possible follow up after the weekend. 

The institute of advanced motoring have called for tougher punishments in an article today

http://www.iam.org.uk/media-and-research/media-centre/news-archive/...

The Kings Heath protest gets a mention here -

http://departmentfortransport.wordpress.com/2013/09/26/nazan-fennel...

RE: "During a protest and memorial bike ride, Hope Fennell’s mother sat down in the road.

A simple gesture, but a powerful one. It wasn’t planned, it just happened. She was joined on the ground by others and there they stayed for 30 minutes."

I thought the idea was to generate support in the local community, not alienate it?

Do you feel alienated?

CKS said:

RE: "During a protest and memorial bike ride, Hope Fennell’s mother sat down in the road.

A simple gesture, but a powerful one. It wasn’t planned, it just happened. She was joined on the ground by others and there they stayed for 30 minutes."

I thought the idea was to generate support in the local community, not alienate it?

Several people came up to me and asked what it was all about. Every one of them was sympathetic. With the exception of the lorry driver who tried to overtake the procession and who was dealt with quickly by the police, I didn't see anyone complaining about having the high street stopped for a bit.

This was not just a bunch of cyclists cruising around causing trouble for ordinary people (from the point of view of your average Joe) this is a protest on the spot where a young girl was killed. No-one who has loved ones can do any less than empathise with the heart wrenching pain of losing someone dear to you. The inconvenience of not being able to use that road for half an hour on a weekend, is nothing compared to the pain caused by the loss of  a loved one. The people who this would alienate are those without a heart. Not worth thinking about!
CKS said:

The people who this would alienate are the local residents whose support you need if anything is to be done about Kings Heath High Street.

If you carry on antagonising them then they'll be more likely to accept the official view that Hope's death was just a tragic accident that nobody could be held responsible for.

RSS

Latest Activity

LS posted an event

August Critical Mass at Behind Rackhams, edge of St Phillips Cathedral

August 1, 2014 from 6pm to 10pm
We meet; we chat and and admire each others bikes; we ride around town at a leisurely pace,…See More
2 hours ago
Jav replied to Iain's discussion Commuting under Spaghetti Junction - Is it safe?
"Having used the subway for 3 years for commuting the real issues have been the rubbish/glass down…"
4 hours ago
Rich22222 replied to Iain's discussion Commuting under Spaghetti Junction - Is it safe?
"Ah it is, sorry. Tyburn road is pretty horrid since the bus lane was taken out, Gravelly Hill…"
4 hours ago
Rich22222 replied to Iain's discussion Commuting under Spaghetti Junction - Is it safe?
"Salford Circus isn't a motorway junction "
4 hours ago
Tim replied to Iain's discussion Commuting under Spaghetti Junction - Is it safe?
"A motorway roundabout is unlikely to ever be a low speed junction...which is basically what this…"
4 hours ago
Savlona replied to Savlona's discussion Police Commissioner Elections 21st August
"The Conservative candidate can be contacted here http://www.lesjonespcc.com/ The UKIP candidate…"
4 hours ago
Savlona replied to Savlona's discussion Police Commissioner Elections 21st August
"Sorry, must have failed to copy the link in to my earlier post List of candidates…"
5 hours ago
"Thanks for driving through John. In concept....  lights would make things safer, as you say by…"
6 hours ago
"The CRT (Canal&Rivers Trust) clearly have too much power over infrastructure, if a route goes…"
6 hours ago
John K replied to Iain's discussion Commuting under Spaghetti Junction - Is it safe?
"Drove through the main roundabout today and the traffic lights make this a much safer roundabout…"
7 hours ago
Robert replied to Iain's discussion Commuting under Spaghetti Junction - Is it safe?
"It's CRT that is refusing to budge.   Their position is totally indefensible, but…"
8 hours ago
"I'm not even sure the reason, but maybe bcc could put pressure on English Heritage/whoever? "
9 hours ago
David replied to Savlona's discussion Police Commissioner Elections 21st August
"I think Salma resigned from Respect after George's latest sexist remark. As for least cycle…"
9 hours ago
Robert replied to Iain's discussion Commuting under Spaghetti Junction - Is it safe?
"I still haven't had an answer to my question "If a surface suitable for contemporary…"
9 hours ago
"The limiting factor is always going to be the concrete flyovers, never going to be a lovely sunny…"
9 hours ago
"My reply has just made me realise how annoying the lack of possibility for removing cobbled bridges…"
10 hours ago

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by LS.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service