Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

Have heard about two muggings on NCN5 over the weekend.

On Friday at about 17:00 a woman runner was mugged for her phone and camera in between Dads Lane and Cartland Road.

On Saturday at 19:30 a man had his bike taken from him by a group of youths outside the tea rooms.

I am  on either Russell Rd or Pershore Rd on the journey home for the foreseeable I think

Views: 772

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where are the tea rooms? Highbury Park?

Are the police doing anything ?

https://www.wmnow.co.uk/da/206234

police robbery alert thing - assuming this is the same person who had their bike nicked, sounds like it was outside the rangers station cafe in cannon hill park.

Hope they're caught. I've been mostly avoiding Cannon Hill Park in the dark recently. Don't slow down for groups of youths, they have the time on their phones.

Avoidance seems to be the best option at the moment. I had been idly wondering if it would be feasible to organise some sort of cycling bus with people meeting at the gates on the hour and half hour. 

I went through there at 19:30 yesterday and all the crazy British Military Fitness guys were running around. Sometimes it's not the quiet deserted park you expect. With the floodlight tennis courts now it's also busier in the winter than ever.

I went through at 6 this evening. Two police officers on bikes near the footbridge past the nature centre had just advised a young female jogger that running with headphones might not be the best idea. I asked if they could patrol every evening at around 5.30 as that's when I pass through.  There have been plain clothes officers patrolling recently, they arrested a youth with a knife near the nature centre a couple of days ago. 

Another one last night:

https://www.wmnow.co.uk/da/208991

A Robbery occurred last night within Canon Hill Park.

If you saw or heard anything or have any information about the below incident please call our non emergency number 101, quoting the reference number provided.

Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org.

Reference: 20BE/40291V/18​
Location: On footpath within Canon Hill Park / Holders lane area - near to area of foot bridge near to Second Avenue
 ​
Date and time: On Monday 19th February between 1750 and 1800 hrs in the evening
 ​
Details: A lone female was walking through Canon Hill Park on the footpath near to Second avenue and on same side as park as the Midland Arts centre. It is believed the female may have been using her phone whilst walking. A cyclist passed her and when out of sight she became aware of two males approaching behind her. Males have engaged victim, used punches and kicks before stealing phone and running off towards the Midland Arts Centre. Males described as both Asian, both short, both of skinny build  wearing dark clothing hoodies with masks. Both males spoke in  Asian language to each other during incident.

Could we please advise park users and local residents to think about personal security when using any park in darkness hours. A phone being used in the dark illuminates the face and can be observed a good distance away indicating what can be expensive property items and age / gender of the user. A phone being used with headphones not only means vital senses are not being used but if being viewed at same time there is often no awareness of what is occurring in very close proximity. Officers are patrolling the interior of the park during darkness hours when available. help us to help you and think security.  

Utter cowardly little shits. I rode through maybe 10 minutes before this. I passed a woman near the nature centre who I think was on the phone. It could of been her but I didn't see any youths about apart from 4 teenage girls on the adventure playground cable thing. They were probably skulking in the bushes plucking up the courage to attack a lone woman. I went a different way this evening but will carry on using the park. Safety in numbers.

A woman was mugged for her bike this evening in the park by second avenue.  Highly likely to be the same two attackers. The police keep patrolling but maybe two blokes in high viz with flashing lights isn't the way to catch them. 

One male arrested this morning.

Well done police let's hope they've got the right guy and this puts a stop to it

One down , three to go? 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Site Sponsors

Latest Activity

Shakey replied to Philip Whiteman's discussion Velo Midland 2018
"Route does not look great and not particularly taxing. I thought last year's velo was perfect…"
12 minutes ago
ian robathan replied to ian robathan's discussion Audax
"ah yeah I saw that one and planning a 600km next year so that is one I am looking at "
3 hours ago
ian robathan replied to Philip Whiteman's discussion Velo Midland 2018
"shame really as all events I have taken part in no issues "
3 hours ago
Andy White replied to ian robathan's discussion Audax
"BCM = Bryan Chapman Memorial (600k and stupid climb) btw ;-)"
13 hours ago
"BCM is beyond me now Ian ! I joined Audax 35 years ago and never got past a 600k. PBP 87 was…"
13 hours ago
Kim replied to Philip Whiteman's discussion Velo Midland 2018
"They did last time.  No idea what's happening next year."
yesterday
ian robathan replied to ian robathan's discussion Audax
"The ones I will keep Phil are the early season ones, for example done one from Garden every year…"
yesterday
Philip Whiteman replied to ian robathan's discussion Audax
"Welcome to the dark side. Years ago I too made that transition.  I recall those heady days of…"
yesterday
"Welcome to the 'family' and even more TLAs ... BCM, PBP, LEL ... ;-)"
yesterday
James Russell replied to ian robathan's discussion Audax
"I've done the Kidderminster Killer myself.  A lovely day out if you don't mind a bit…"
yesterday
ian robathan posted a discussion

Audax

I will admit until this year I was sniffy about Audaxing, always thought Sportives were better and…See More
Sunday
ian robathan replied to Philip Whiteman's discussion Velo Midland 2018
"apart from TT ones, do they ban say tandems or recumbents then ? "
Saturday
Shakey replied to john butler's discussion Bourne brook pathway
"Fully open again last night although care needed in places as there  is a lot of loose gravel…"
Saturday
Kim replied to Philip Whiteman's discussion Velo Midland 2018
"Or at least those whose bikes aren't arbitrarily banned..."
Saturday
Robert replied to Robert's discussion Carrera GTi
"£200 for a "bike" with a half sawn-through frame (amongst numerous other serious…"
Saturday
Andrew W replied to Robert's discussion Carrera GTi
"It’s currently advertised for sake on Facebook for £200 I’m quite tempted "
Friday

© 2018   Created by LS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service