Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

I mentioned this on another thread but these new propsals are being exhibited at the Waterhall Gallery this week. I popped in today to have a look at the exhibition (last day of it today).

There is no mention of cycling in the Access and Networks section. No mention of cycling in the Transport and Highways section. When I pointed this out to one of the reps he pointed me to a piece that you'd need a magnifying glass for where there were a few cycle lanes (a lane is going a bit too far) on pedestrian areas, however, these lanes didn't connect in anyway. When I was talking to the rep another guy chipped in next to me and agreed.

There is no sign, for example of anyway of connecting Broad Street to New Street by bike and there are no bike lanes on any roads.

Chris and John B of Pushbikes - I'm not sure if you've had chance to view the plans. Hopefully you can maybe exert a little pressure on the Council/developers to look at these proposals again with a cyclist in mind

Ryan 

Views: 1280

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Changes to Paradise Circus went in on Sunday and there was traffic chaos on the way out of town yesterday (and actually virtual gridlock all the way to Selly Oak).  Will being stuck in endless traffic persuade a few motorists to leave their car at home?

Probably not. I drove from the city centre during crawl hour recently and have no idea how people can do that on a regular basis, I suppose they don't know better like we do.

Ryan Stait said:

Changes to Paradise Circus went in on Sunday and there was traffic chaos on the way out of town yesterday (and actually virtual gridlock all the way to Selly Oak).  Will being stuck in endless traffic persuade a few motorists to leave their car at home?

Given the value of the cars in the jams these people must earn significantly more than me, and therefor probably have far more important jobs with longer hours.  And probably have a family too.  Yet they're happy to waste 1-3 hours of their lives every single day... 

I guess fear (of dangerous road conditions/rain/messy hair/sweatiness) and laziness are pretty powerful.  

I had often wondered how it was that so many people could afford luxury motor cars. Then I discovered the answer is that they can't; they're bought on credit.   The UK has alarming personal debt levels.

danwentskiing said:

Given the value of the cars in the jams these people must earn significantly more than me, and therefor probably have far more important jobs with longer hours.

Not sure that just fear - I think that a lot of it is ignorance (not meant as an insult) - they just don't understand that for a good number of people riding to work can be both easy and enjoyable. Of course, if we had proper cycle ways this would be lessened, but even with what we currently have there are still lots of routes that are much less obnoxious than sitting in a cage in a queue for ages.

But we've lost a couple of generations of bike users (as opposed to "Cyclists") so utility cycling is no longer a natural thing to do like it might have been some years ago.

Pity they couldn't do this road chaos in the middle of summer - we'd have much more opportunity to convert people then.

There was a public exhibition yesterday for the first building. It will include a cycle hub for up to 500 bikes

http://www.paradisebirmingham.co.uk/one-centenary-way-2/

good news, now how presume we will get there through the quality separated infra then ? 

Well I don't see how cycling there from the tram is possible. The council arleady banned cycling along the tram route placing as many Red Circular No Biking signs as they could. And worse still is they want to extend the tram line to the city centre library. It genuinely am VERY worried they will continue their pursuit in banning bicycles along the the extended route for the trams.
ian robathan said:

good news, now how presume we will get there through the quality separated infra then ? 

course they will because as my tongue in cheek comment suggested no joined up thinking, no separation of traffic etc total and utter mess 

that's my concern as well. It will be virtually impossible to get from one side of city centre to the other.

Green is phase 2 (which work has already started) I can bet you any money when the tram to the library is finished cycling there will also be banned! The tram from Bull Street all the way to Navigon St is all bike banned! 

By the time phase 3 is finished student will no longer be allowed to cycle to university in Birmingham. It will be a really sad day. Specially with the fact they only get a 7K loan (no grants anymore), so they wont be able to afford the tram, or cars. They will be forced to walk everywhere, which means they will be more tired, less energy, and may fail more of their studies 

(OK maybe I am over-exadurating but it is council's fault for not including bikes with the trams, and its the idea of trams that started the councillors thinking. The tram is like Satan and it gave the councillors bad ideas = bicycle bans) LOL 

Hanah said:

that's my concern as well. It will be virtually impossible to get from one side of city centre to the other.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Site Sponsors

Latest Activity

Rob replied to Philip Whiteman's discussion Velo Midland 2018
"They could do a rolling road closure approach, that seems to be common on other events like Tour De…"
6 hours ago
Philip Whiteman replied to Philip Whiteman's discussion Velo Midland 2018
"Ian, in answer to your question: A decision will be made by Worcestershire County Council's…"
18 hours ago
Robert Holland replied to Robert Holland's discussion City cycling - Vancouver have it about right
"Aboslutely spot on Robert!"
19 hours ago
Robert replied to Robert Holland's discussion City cycling - Vancouver have it about right
"The green routes can be very pleasant, but they suffer from poor social safety, particularly after…"
19 hours ago
Dave Cox replied to Robert Holland's discussion City cycling - Vancouver have it about right
"Making Birmingham a centre for cycle tourism is fully achievable. New St links us to most parts of…"
yesterday
Dave Cox replied to Robert Holland's discussion City cycling - Vancouver have it about right
"Excellent integrated transport.  I took my Brompton to Vancouver years ago and thoroughly…"
yesterday
Robert replied to Robert Holland's discussion City cycling - Vancouver have it about right
"I had noticed that Air France is running a series of adverts on RTÉ Radio 1 this year…"
yesterday
Robert Holland posted a discussion

City cycling - Vancouver have it about right

This video about joined up transport thinking and cycling in Vancouver should be a must-see for all…See More
Sunday
Robert replied to Ryan Stait's discussion Broad Street trams
Saturday
David smart is now a member of Birmingham Cyclist
Saturday
Doug replied to Ryan Stait's discussion Broad Street trams
"This film shows plenty of cyclists, pedestrians walking and riding with trams and tram tracks. It…"
Friday
On Your Bike posted a discussion

January Sale - Up to 40% off bikes, e-bikes, 30% off all clothing and footwear

Lots of bargains to be had on bikes across all price ranges and styles plus 30% off all clothing…See More
Thursday
Hugh Willliams is now a member of Birmingham Cyclist
Jan 9
LS updated an event

Edgbaston Tunnel Closure at Worcester & Birmingham Canal, Edgbaston

January 22, 2018 at 8am to March 30, 2018 at 4pm
Towpath widening works through the tunnel.Start and end dates have changed twice  (so far).See More
Jan 8
LS replied to LS's discussion Edgbaston Tunnel Tow Path Widening
"Closure is now 22nd January until 16th March again.  So it was going to take a week longer…"
Jan 8
LS replied to Ryan Stait's discussion Broad Street trams
"I've ridden the tram route from Stephenson Street to Colmore Row loads of times and will be…"
Jan 8

© 2018   Created by LS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service