Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

I mentioned this on another thread but these new propsals are being exhibited at the Waterhall Gallery this week. I popped in today to have a look at the exhibition (last day of it today).

There is no mention of cycling in the Access and Networks section. No mention of cycling in the Transport and Highways section. When I pointed this out to one of the reps he pointed me to a piece that you'd need a magnifying glass for where there were a few cycle lanes (a lane is going a bit too far) on pedestrian areas, however, these lanes didn't connect in anyway. When I was talking to the rep another guy chipped in next to me and agreed.

There is no sign, for example of anyway of connecting Broad Street to New Street by bike and there are no bike lanes on any roads.

Chris and John B of Pushbikes - I'm not sure if you've had chance to view the plans. Hopefully you can maybe exert a little pressure on the Council/developers to look at these proposals again with a cyclist in mind

Ryan 

Views: 1224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Changes to Paradise Circus went in on Sunday and there was traffic chaos on the way out of town yesterday (and actually virtual gridlock all the way to Selly Oak).  Will being stuck in endless traffic persuade a few motorists to leave their car at home?

Probably not. I drove from the city centre during crawl hour recently and have no idea how people can do that on a regular basis, I suppose they don't know better like we do.

Ryan Stait said:

Changes to Paradise Circus went in on Sunday and there was traffic chaos on the way out of town yesterday (and actually virtual gridlock all the way to Selly Oak).  Will being stuck in endless traffic persuade a few motorists to leave their car at home?

Given the value of the cars in the jams these people must earn significantly more than me, and therefor probably have far more important jobs with longer hours.  And probably have a family too.  Yet they're happy to waste 1-3 hours of their lives every single day... 

I guess fear (of dangerous road conditions/rain/messy hair/sweatiness) and laziness are pretty powerful.  

I had often wondered how it was that so many people could afford luxury motor cars. Then I discovered the answer is that they can't; they're bought on credit.   The UK has alarming personal debt levels.

danwentskiing said:

Given the value of the cars in the jams these people must earn significantly more than me, and therefor probably have far more important jobs with longer hours.

Not sure that just fear - I think that a lot of it is ignorance (not meant as an insult) - they just don't understand that for a good number of people riding to work can be both easy and enjoyable. Of course, if we had proper cycle ways this would be lessened, but even with what we currently have there are still lots of routes that are much less obnoxious than sitting in a cage in a queue for ages.

But we've lost a couple of generations of bike users (as opposed to "Cyclists") so utility cycling is no longer a natural thing to do like it might have been some years ago.

Pity they couldn't do this road chaos in the middle of summer - we'd have much more opportunity to convert people then.

There was a public exhibition yesterday for the first building. It will include a cycle hub for up to 500 bikes

http://www.paradisebirmingham.co.uk/one-centenary-way-2/

good news, now how presume we will get there through the quality separated infra then ? 

Well I don't see how cycling there from the tram is possible. The council arleady banned cycling along the tram route placing as many Red Circular No Biking signs as they could. And worse still is they want to extend the tram line to the city centre library. It genuinely am VERY worried they will continue their pursuit in banning bicycles along the the extended route for the trams.
ian robathan said:

good news, now how presume we will get there through the quality separated infra then ? 

course they will because as my tongue in cheek comment suggested no joined up thinking, no separation of traffic etc total and utter mess 

that's my concern as well. It will be virtually impossible to get from one side of city centre to the other.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Site Sponsors

Latest Activity

ian robathan replied to ian robathan's discussion No Velodrome for Brum
"well it is 50M I thought ? just not the spectator facilities ?"
20 minutes ago
ochib replied to ian robathan's discussion No Velodrome for Brum
"What a wasted opportunity by Birmingham University not to build an olympic sized pool   …"
3 hours ago
LS replied to felipe moreira's discussion Fixie shop
12 hours ago
ian robathan replied to felipe moreira's discussion Fixie shop
"Not sure of a shop but I use Al Salter for all things on my bike and he is fantastic…"
15 hours ago
ian robathan replied to Andrew W's discussion Birmingham to host closed roads sportive
"well got to ride there and back but that is a flat ride anyway "
15 hours ago
felipe moreira posted a discussion

Fixie shop

hey. i'm new to the city (and the forum) and have just bought a fixie and a single speed (soon to…See More
15 hours ago
Russ M replied to Andrew W's discussion Birmingham to host closed roads sportive
"I'm just adding another 9 miles before the start to warm up! lol"
16 hours ago
Richard D replied to Andrew W's discussion Birmingham to host closed roads sportive
"I've got free parking organised in the city centre anyway. And if I wanted to have empty…"
16 hours ago
"it is a lost opportunity, we will get a new 50M pool we badly need but also imagine a velodrome as…"
22 hours ago
LS replied to ian robathan's discussion No Velodrome for Brum
"When Manchester and Glasgow hosted the games they both built velodromes. If Birmingham isn't…"
yesterday
Andy White replied to LS's discussion Cyclist Injured on Sherlock Street
"Agreed Kim. However my post was intended to raise caution against the, all too prevalent, habit of…"
yesterday
ian robathan replied to ian robathan's discussion 2026 Transport plan
"yep frilly words, without the cash totally pointless."
yesterday
James Patterson replied to ian robathan's discussion 2026 Transport plan
"Yep, that plan mentions "unfunded" so many times. Basically rubbish."
yesterday
"I read not enough seats though and not possible to expand ?"
yesterday
GasPipeWarrior replied to ian robathan's discussion No Velodrome for Brum
"I believe that Derby Velodrome is being considered as the potential venue for Track Cycling."
yesterday
ian robathan replied to Andrew W's discussion Birmingham to host closed roads sportive
"well I paid for fastback not for the inconvience of saturday but because I want to be off early…"
yesterday

© 2017   Created by LS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service