Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

Apologies if this has come up previously - it's an intriguing idea.  Maybe they should produce a hybrid model based on the wooden bike?

http://www.stringbike.com/

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Striking that there is no video on the website...  Or if there is, it is well hidden.  

Often see different forms of drive - there was a sort of rocking motion one at the Bike Show last year.  Part of me thinks that this is because it's a market dominated by huge manufacturers with vested interests.  Another part thinks:  You know, this is almost mechanically perfect, with only a few percent of energy lost in any case, so you're not going to see an order of magnitude improvement, so why bother?  

The pedal cranks are not straight - there is a short section between the hub and the gear-thingy for the strings, and then another section to the pedals.

That, surely, is going to increase the distance between the pedals? Which may affect the effects on the hips and knees.

Anyway - with the domination of chain driven gearing, and its reliability (regardless of the claims made on that website) I can't see this taking over....

Hi

The promotional video is under marketing support.  Looks horrible to me and if you watch the video youll see how many of the shots have things obscuring the pedal and 'string' action.

Strikes me as a solution looking for a problem

The more I look at it, the more similar it seems to a mock up they had at the NEC bike show.  A very asynchronous movement.  

Interesting that in the partially hidden promo video - you had more patience than me finding it - it shows people doing stuff that you could do on a normal bike, but this doesn't seem to have occurred to these trendy young hipsters...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Simon commented on Simon's group CycleBirmingham - the rides & social part of Push Bikes
"Wednesday 27 August - At the University of Brum "
3 hours ago
Anna W joined Simon's group
Thumbnail

CycleBirmingham - the rides & social part of Push Bikes

We are a friendly and welcoming social and leisure cycling group. We organise a weekly: Evening…See More
3 hours ago
Midge D commented on LS's group Night Riders
"A lovely night time ride along the  bike path from Sheldon to Bickenhill with just a tiny…"
4 hours ago
Anna W joined Georgia Stokes's group
Thumbnail

Cycle South Brum

We want to bring together cycling activities across south Birmingham to create a cycling community…See More
4 hours ago
Anna W is attending Dee's event
Thumbnail

Birmingham Bikeathon at Starting Line: Broad Street

September 21, 2014 from 8am to 7pm
3 routes:26 Mile Cycle: £20 entry52 Mile Cycle:  £20 entry100 Mile Cycle: £45 entryBikeathon is…See More
5 hours ago
Profile IconMidge D and Anna W joined LS's group
5 hours ago
Anna W joined Carfree's group
Thumbnail

Critical Mass

We ride together on the first Friday of the month at 6pm leaving from edge of Cathedral grounds…See More
5 hours ago
Anna W joined MikeyB's group
Thumbnail

Bike Club - West Midlands

A club for lovers of those cycling devices we all love to ride called bikes.Looking to meet like…See More
5 hours ago
Anna W joined Graham Hankins's group
Thumbnail

Push Bikes - Birmingham Cycling Campaign

Push Bikes - Birmingham Cycling Campaign negotiates with Birmingham City Council for improved…See More
5 hours ago
ian sherman updated their profile
7 hours ago
Anna W is now a member of Birmingham Cyclist
15 hours ago
Tim Beasley replied to On Your Bike's discussion Cycle to Work Day - Free Bike Breakfast - Thursday 4th September 8am-10am
"It's all good. Bike fixed. "
18 hours ago
Robert replied to On Your Bike's discussion Cycle to Work Day - Free Bike Breakfast - Thursday 4th September 8am-10am
"If they're so busy chatting they never get it finished, you can hire a basic station bike for…"
18 hours ago
James Lee replied to On Your Bike's discussion Cycle to Work Day - Free Bike Breakfast - Thursday 4th September 8am-10am
"OK. Be wary of the atmospheric air currents across the Dutch countryside."
22 hours ago
Tim Beasley replied to On Your Bike's discussion Cycle to Work Day - Free Bike Breakfast - Thursday 4th September 8am-10am
"I prefer Gouda. "
22 hours ago
James Lee replied to On Your Bike's discussion Cycle to Work Day - Free Bike Breakfast - Thursday 4th September 8am-10am
"So stay off the Edam. "
22 hours ago

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by LS.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service