Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

Apologies if this has come up previously - it's an intriguing idea.  Maybe they should produce a hybrid model based on the wooden bike?

http://www.stringbike.com/

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Striking that there is no video on the website...  Or if there is, it is well hidden.  

Often see different forms of drive - there was a sort of rocking motion one at the Bike Show last year.  Part of me thinks that this is because it's a market dominated by huge manufacturers with vested interests.  Another part thinks:  You know, this is almost mechanically perfect, with only a few percent of energy lost in any case, so you're not going to see an order of magnitude improvement, so why bother?  

The pedal cranks are not straight - there is a short section between the hub and the gear-thingy for the strings, and then another section to the pedals.

That, surely, is going to increase the distance between the pedals? Which may affect the effects on the hips and knees.

Anyway - with the domination of chain driven gearing, and its reliability (regardless of the claims made on that website) I can't see this taking over....

Hi

The promotional video is under marketing support.  Looks horrible to me and if you watch the video youll see how many of the shots have things obscuring the pedal and 'string' action.

Strikes me as a solution looking for a problem

The more I look at it, the more similar it seems to a mock up they had at the NEC bike show.  A very asynchronous movement.  

Interesting that in the partially hidden promo video - you had more patience than me finding it - it shows people doing stuff that you could do on a normal bike, but this doesn't seem to have occurred to these trendy young hipsters...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Philip Eddington replied to Doug's discussion Walking or Cycling to work improves well being -
"Yeah really. Just goes to show. My trouble is I live 25 plus miles from work. I know to some a…"
4 hours ago
Doug posted a discussion
5 hours ago
Profile IconLuke Holland and Darren Cash are attending Robert's event
Thumbnail

Space for Cycling Mass Ride around the Conservative Party at Victoria Square

September 29, 2014 from 6pm to 8pm
Ride with Push Bikes to show national and local politicians that people want safe space for…See More
5 hours ago
Doug commented on Robert's event 'Space for Cycling Mass Ride around the Conservative Party'
"sounds good should be able to make it"
6 hours ago
Doug might attend Robert's event
Thumbnail

Space for Cycling Mass Ride around the Conservative Party at Victoria Square

September 29, 2014 from 6pm to 8pm
Ride with Push Bikes to show national and local politicians that people want safe space for…See More
6 hours ago
An event by LS was featured
Thumbnail

Bike Lounge at Hare and Hounds

September 16, 2014 from 7:30pm to 10pm
Richard Durrant gig cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.Bike Lounge still on in the back…See More
8 hours ago
Darren Cash replied to Simon's discussion Ackers Cycle Path...really????
"Don't worry, I wasn't planning on going anywhere near. I had already decided it was…"
8 hours ago
Kim replied to LS's discussion Cannon Hill Park Bike Thieves
"Followed this advice when I went to see Bicycle last night.  Was disappointed to see only one…"
13 hours ago
Kim replied to Philip Eddington's discussion Lights Again
"Lies!  But batteries *are* rubbish in cold weather, so I completely agree that (hub) dynamos…"
13 hours ago
Peter Lee updated their profile
13 hours ago
Profile IconPeter Lee and Jonathan Radcliffe joined Birmingham Cyclist
13 hours ago
Robert replied to LS's discussion Slow Roll
"Nice to know I'm not missing a major part of what's fun in Detroit right now."
13 hours ago
James Lee replied to LS's discussion Slow Roll
"That's fine.   We'll organise a "Just slightly less than a medium paced, but…"
14 hours ago
Tom H replied to Doug's discussion CENTRO in the money !!
"LSTF money, so it's Bike North Birmingham / Smart Network Smarter Choices (SNSC) and will be…"
14 hours ago
Jonathan Radcliffe replied to mark's discussion Where did your bike take you today?
"inspired by another thread, I looped around Birmingham on the 11a/A4040 route (with the odd, err…"
16 hours ago
Chris Jones replied to LS's discussion The wisdom of Councillor Alden
"I think this sorts the wardrobe issue…"
17 hours ago

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by LS.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service