Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

Apologies if this has come up previously - it's an intriguing idea.  Maybe they should produce a hybrid model based on the wooden bike?

http://www.stringbike.com/

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Striking that there is no video on the website...  Or if there is, it is well hidden.  

Often see different forms of drive - there was a sort of rocking motion one at the Bike Show last year.  Part of me thinks that this is because it's a market dominated by huge manufacturers with vested interests.  Another part thinks:  You know, this is almost mechanically perfect, with only a few percent of energy lost in any case, so you're not going to see an order of magnitude improvement, so why bother?  

The pedal cranks are not straight - there is a short section between the hub and the gear-thingy for the strings, and then another section to the pedals.

That, surely, is going to increase the distance between the pedals? Which may affect the effects on the hips and knees.

Anyway - with the domination of chain driven gearing, and its reliability (regardless of the claims made on that website) I can't see this taking over....

Hi

The promotional video is under marketing support.  Looks horrible to me and if you watch the video youll see how many of the shots have things obscuring the pedal and 'string' action.

Strikes me as a solution looking for a problem

The more I look at it, the more similar it seems to a mock up they had at the NEC bike show.  A very asynchronous movement.  

Interesting that in the partially hidden promo video - you had more patience than me finding it - it shows people doing stuff that you could do on a normal bike, but this doesn't seem to have occurred to these trendy young hipsters...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Kim replied to CKS's discussion Moulton
"Small wheeled bikes are excellent in traffic, and the whole point in the Moulton suspension system…"
59 minutes ago
Doug replied to Dave Holladay's discussion Section 39 RTA 1988
"Hi Dave -- I take it the gist of what you are saying is that there could be a Vision Zero for…"
1 hour ago
Doug replied to Nazan Fennell's discussion Safe HGV Designs
"Very interesting insight and I agree its the bait of money saving that will deliver a…"
1 hour ago
colin hall replied to CKS's discussion Moulton
"The Moulton Starts twice as many conversations and draws many more admiring glances than my Mercian…"
4 hours ago
Matt Reekie replied to CKS's discussion Moulton
"Used to own a TSR-2 and it was a fantastic little runaround; fast, smooth and lively. They're…"
5 hours ago
colin hall replied to CKS's discussion Moulton
"One of my touring friends is riding a Moulton across the USA this summer, and has toured all over…"
7 hours ago
Dave Holladay posted a discussion

Section 39 RTA 1988

Section 39.3  Each relevant authoritya) must carry out studies into accidents arising out of the…See More
9 hours ago
Dave Holladay replied to Nazan Fennell's discussion Safe HGV Designs
"Worth reflecting that this legislation (EC 96/53) was actually initiated as a measure to cut carbon…"
10 hours ago
Jon Ingram replied to CKS's discussion Moulton
"Have you ridden one much, Klaus? What's not to like about light & strong with excellent…"
14 hours ago
Kim replied to Klaus's discussion Inflatable safety vest
"Maybe if you're planning to fall in the canal?"
16 hours ago
Kim replied to CKS's discussion Moulton
"n+1  :) "
16 hours ago
Klaus replied to CKS's discussion Moulton
"Fine engineering, but what are Moultons for? Better folders can be bought for less, better bikes…"
16 hours ago
Jon Ingram replied to CKS's discussion Moulton
"Nice! I'd buy it for £250. I have a sneaking suspicion it'll go for a whole lot…"
16 hours ago
Doug replied to Nazan Fennell's discussion Safe HGV Designs
"Yes I think this now sits on the middle ground - it was an anti Europe football , but now its moved…"
19 hours ago
colin hall replied to John K's discussion Rides on our holidays
"Ventoux in autumn :)"
20 hours ago
Nazan Fennell replied to Nazan Fennell's discussion Safe HGV Designs
"There is hope. Birmingham mail has portrayed it very well-in a positive way. I think the statement…"
21 hours ago

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by LS.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service