Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

Apologies if this has come up previously - it's an intriguing idea.  Maybe they should produce a hybrid model based on the wooden bike?

http://www.stringbike.com/

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Striking that there is no video on the website...  Or if there is, it is well hidden.  

Often see different forms of drive - there was a sort of rocking motion one at the Bike Show last year.  Part of me thinks that this is because it's a market dominated by huge manufacturers with vested interests.  Another part thinks:  You know, this is almost mechanically perfect, with only a few percent of energy lost in any case, so you're not going to see an order of magnitude improvement, so why bother?  

The pedal cranks are not straight - there is a short section between the hub and the gear-thingy for the strings, and then another section to the pedals.

That, surely, is going to increase the distance between the pedals? Which may affect the effects on the hips and knees.

Anyway - with the domination of chain driven gearing, and its reliability (regardless of the claims made on that website) I can't see this taking over....

Hi

The promotional video is under marketing support.  Looks horrible to me and if you watch the video youll see how many of the shots have things obscuring the pedal and 'string' action.

Strikes me as a solution looking for a problem

The more I look at it, the more similar it seems to a mock up they had at the NEC bike show.  A very asynchronous movement.  

Interesting that in the partially hidden promo video - you had more patience than me finding it - it shows people doing stuff that you could do on a normal bike, but this doesn't seem to have occurred to these trendy young hipsters...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

James Lee replied to Tom's discussion Angry Green Van Driver
"A study conducted by Ford Motor comany about 15 years ago ( they owned Jaguar once ) revealed…"
2 hours ago
John K replied to Tom's discussion Angry Green Van Driver
"Sorry to hear of this ridiculous aggression. Had similar nonsense from a minibus driver from AFJ…"
10 hours ago
Derek Mullan replied to Derek Mullan's discussion The Birmingham Bikeability Scene
"Thank you for replying Simon - some interesting info. What are the 'four year contracts on…"
10 hours ago
danwentskiing posted a discussion
12 hours ago
LS replied to Luke Holland's discussion Naughty taxis
"Fares always used to be displayed on bus stops. I stopped using buses 11 years ago so I'm not…"
12 hours ago
Kim replied to Philip Eddington's discussion Aldi Mountian bike shoes size 9 looking to swop for a size 8
"There's a big pile of shoes in the Selly Oak Aldi at the moment (the students have gone home,…"
14 hours ago
Kim replied to Luke Holland's discussion Naughty taxis
"Yes, technology is trickling down and taming unfamiliar buses.  Some cities are adopting it…"
14 hours ago
Simon replied to LS's discussion Are more people cycling in Birmingham?
"That's the problem that SE has found itself in......doesn't actually do what it says on…"
16 hours ago
TomJ replied to LS's discussion Are more people cycling in Birmingham?
"Fewer people.  Sorry, I can't help myself. But seriously, it depends on the…"
17 hours ago
LS replied to LS's discussion Are more people cycling in Birmingham?
"So less people are doing TT and track cycling in Birmingham. The article should be rewritten.  "
17 hours ago
James Lee replied to LS's discussion Are more people cycling in Birmingham?
"The 'sport' cyclists in and around Birmingham are the ones who go to Cycle Time Trials…"
18 hours ago
Simon B updated their profile
19 hours ago
Simon B replied to mark's discussion Where did your bike take you today?
"Thank You Simon :)"
19 hours ago
Richard Smith replied to Tom's discussion Angry Green Van Driver
"What a depressing state of affairs.  "
19 hours ago
TomJ replied to Luke Holland's discussion Naughty taxis
"To be fair to the Brum buses, the couple i used recently had big notices beneath the…"
19 hours ago
TomJ replied to LS's discussion Are more people cycling in Birmingham?
" I do.  I often get to the rugby club on my bike... "
19 hours ago

Badge

Loading…

© 2015   Created by LS.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service