Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

Apologies if this has come up previously - it's an intriguing idea.  Maybe they should produce a hybrid model based on the wooden bike?

http://www.stringbike.com/

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Striking that there is no video on the website...  Or if there is, it is well hidden.  

Often see different forms of drive - there was a sort of rocking motion one at the Bike Show last year.  Part of me thinks that this is because it's a market dominated by huge manufacturers with vested interests.  Another part thinks:  You know, this is almost mechanically perfect, with only a few percent of energy lost in any case, so you're not going to see an order of magnitude improvement, so why bother?  

The pedal cranks are not straight - there is a short section between the hub and the gear-thingy for the strings, and then another section to the pedals.

That, surely, is going to increase the distance between the pedals? Which may affect the effects on the hips and knees.

Anyway - with the domination of chain driven gearing, and its reliability (regardless of the claims made on that website) I can't see this taking over....

Hi

The promotional video is under marketing support.  Looks horrible to me and if you watch the video youll see how many of the shots have things obscuring the pedal and 'string' action.

Strikes me as a solution looking for a problem

The more I look at it, the more similar it seems to a mock up they had at the NEC bike show.  A very asynchronous movement.  

Interesting that in the partially hidden promo video - you had more patience than me finding it - it shows people doing stuff that you could do on a normal bike, but this doesn't seem to have occurred to these trendy young hipsters...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Rich22222 replied to LS's discussion Big Birmingham Bikes
"They will have eventually..."
2 hours ago
Simon replied to LS's discussion Big Birmingham Bikes
"Re the eligible postcodes....I believe that nearly all of those who are eligible will have had an…"
2 hours ago
CKS replied to LS's discussion Big Birmingham Bikes
"They'll have to sell the GPS trackers separately.  "
2 hours ago
James Lee replied to LS's discussion Big Birmingham Bikes
"I'll wait to see how much they are on eBay."
2 hours ago
James Lee replied to LS's discussion Big Birmingham Bikes
"So those living in the most deprived areas who can't read and write are screwed. "
2 hours ago
Tom H replied to LS's discussion Big Birmingham Bikes
"You can't really do that with 3,000 bikes though, you don't know what stock bbf/cycle…"
3 hours ago
Robert replied to LS's discussion Big Birmingham Bikes
"I sent them a page from a German catalogue that showed a well-equipped city bike on sale for…"
3 hours ago
"I think that's for the giveaway bikes, not the share bikes, GPS tracker is certainly only on…"
3 hours ago
"Yeah, I know :( "
3 hours ago
CKS replied to LS's discussion Big Birmingham Bikes
"£200 is a bit steep for a giveaway bike - they could have got 3 refurbished bikes (from the…"
3 hours ago
LS replied to LS's discussion Big Birmingham Bikes
"I heard that the initial budget was £200. That was to include lights and lock but not…"
3 hours ago
Tom H posted a discussion

Administrator post available at BikeRight! Birmingham

We're recruiting a part time administrator for our office in Birmingham, would be good for any…See More
3 hours ago
Robert replied to LS's discussion Big Birmingham Bikes
"It says D-lock on the website.   Plus there's a GPS tracker."
4 hours ago
Rich22222 replied to LS's discussion Big Birmingham Bikes
"Combination cable lock... Are they trying to increase the crime rate?"
4 hours ago
"The bike share bikes definitely 100% come with mudguards, lights, pannier rack, minipump and…"
4 hours ago
James Avery replied to Luke Holland's discussion DIY Streets Kings Heath
"After the "DIY" team came to Bike Lounge, this whole scheme was exposed for what it is -…"
6 hours ago

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by LS.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service