Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

Apologies if this has come up previously - it's an intriguing idea.  Maybe they should produce a hybrid model based on the wooden bike?

http://www.stringbike.com/

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Striking that there is no video on the website...  Or if there is, it is well hidden.  

Often see different forms of drive - there was a sort of rocking motion one at the Bike Show last year.  Part of me thinks that this is because it's a market dominated by huge manufacturers with vested interests.  Another part thinks:  You know, this is almost mechanically perfect, with only a few percent of energy lost in any case, so you're not going to see an order of magnitude improvement, so why bother?  

The pedal cranks are not straight - there is a short section between the hub and the gear-thingy for the strings, and then another section to the pedals.

That, surely, is going to increase the distance between the pedals? Which may affect the effects on the hips and knees.

Anyway - with the domination of chain driven gearing, and its reliability (regardless of the claims made on that website) I can't see this taking over....

Hi

The promotional video is under marketing support.  Looks horrible to me and if you watch the video youll see how many of the shots have things obscuring the pedal and 'string' action.

Strikes me as a solution looking for a problem

The more I look at it, the more similar it seems to a mock up they had at the NEC bike show.  A very asynchronous movement.  

Interesting that in the partially hidden promo video - you had more patience than me finding it - it shows people doing stuff that you could do on a normal bike, but this doesn't seem to have occurred to these trendy young hipsters...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Alex Bamford posted events
2 hours ago
Andy White posted a discussion

Peugeot Commuter/Winter Bike for sale

This bike has been maintained in very good working order and all parts function flawlessly. …See More
2 hours ago
Robert replied to Steve Young's discussion Green Travel Districts
"The future: "
2 hours ago
Kim replied to Denis Murphy's discussion Policing and Crime Priorities Survey - last chance to have your say (31 Oct !)
"What a strange survey.  I, as a random member of the public, have no idea about the rates of…"
3 hours ago
Nick Wattison updated an event
Thumbnail

Nick Wattison of Cycle Birmingham (Push Bikes) at Ride to The Anchor Inn at Caunsall near Stourbridge.

November 9, 2014 from 10:30am to 4:30pm
Ride to The Anchor Inn at Caunsall near Stourbridge. Meet at Kings Norton Railway Station car park…See More
4 hours ago
Rich22222 replied to Steve Young's discussion Green Travel Districts
"I wouldn't worry, their wheels appear to be made of brick "
4 hours ago
CKS replied to Steve Young's discussion Green Travel Districts
"That BMW looks like its going to hit one of the cyclists.  "
4 hours ago
Tom H replied to Steve Young's discussion Green Travel Districts
"Stakeholders are anyone with an interest in the venture, so in the context of Kings Heath high st,…"
4 hours ago
David replied to Steve Young's discussion Green Travel Districts
"This represent quite an improvement for KHHS: the pavement is in good repair, there are more trees…"
5 hours ago
James Lee replied to Steve Young's discussion Green Travel Districts
"Cyclists aren't limited to the distance they can travel. "
9 hours ago
Andrew George replied to Denis Murphy's discussion Policing and Crime Priorities Survey - last chance to have your say (31 Oct !)
"Thanks. I've passed it on to my housemates, too."
15 hours ago
LS updated an event
Thumbnail

Cycle Forum November at Birmingham and Midland Institute

November 6, 2014 from 5:30pm to 8pm
PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF VENUERSVP as attending/might attend to receive updates about this event.On…See More
17 hours ago
Doug replied to Denis Murphy's discussion Policing and Crime Priorities Survey - last chance to have your say (31 Oct !)
"thanks"
21 hours ago
John K replied to John K's discussion A 5127 Lichfield Road
"went home via Erdington tonight and it was less hilly but loads more difficult in terms of traffic…"
21 hours ago
Rohini Cash replied to Steve Young's discussion Green Travel Districts
"I laughed when I read 'Soho Road retail area'. I grew up around there and loved it but it…"
23 hours ago
Darren Cash replied to Steve Young's discussion Green Travel Districts
"The cyclists in the picture look like through traffic as well. Certainly doesn't look like my…"
yesterday

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by LS.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service