Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

We do need to take a stand against substandard driving and if the justice system won't do it then we the public need do what we can. 

The Ride for Hope is a great start but  given the awful pain and hurt these drivers can and do cause, perhaps there should be somewhere that the vehicles being driven (not the driver of course) are identified.  Something akin to the 'stocks'.

A closed forum such as this is not the ideal place but I'm happy to start.

W171SUX - female, Holly Road, Handsworth, 5.50pm 12/9/2013

Someone is probably going to tell me that there is law against doing this because its against law-breaking drivers human rights or the data protection act!

Views: 1331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are we differentiating between drivers that text and those that make/take mobile calls...?

Does my head in. I saw four people either texting or on their phone in a ten minute journey on the Hagley Road this evening.

Once I get my headcam up and running and I can figure out how to edit the footage, I'm going to make a montage of these idiots on their phone complete with registration numbers. Not bothered if people view it but it will make me feel better 

I occasionally tweet about this sort of thing. Usually reckless driving. Twitter is pretty good because it's a countermeasure to all those tweets about bloody cyclists.

Mobile phone use while driving is socially accepted as being on a par with littering or having a dog off the lead.

Until it's punishable by a £500 fine and 6 points penalty and/or immediate ban, it will carry on.

I see it so often I don't even bother challenging it....and I suspect the police take the same attitude. 

I saw a cyclist riding no handed on new town row texting the other night

That should be illegal...only 'cause I can't do it.

Well at least he isn't in control of a ton of fast moving metal. I do agree that there are bad cyclists as well as bad drivers. But in the end, the person he is most likely to injure is himself. 
Ian-C said:

yes.for many people what appears on their little screen is more important than anything real in front of them. Some are not prepared to ignore their screens for more than 20 seconds. Once some people are inside a vehicle THEY feel safe and warm and really don't care about other humans. It is perfectly possible to set up monitoring of mobile useage and/or speeding using existing GPS and other systems. Fines could be automatic and a revenue source for cycling infrastructure. We shouldn't be relying on a few prosecutions to achieve enforcement.

Richard Smith said:

Mobile phone use while driving is socially accepted as being on a par with littering or having a dog off the lead.

Until it's punishable by a £500 fine and 6 points penalty and/or immediate ban, it will carry on.

I see it so often I don't even bother challenging it....and I suspect the police take the same attitude. 

They could still kill or seriously injure a pedestrian though.

Bracken Van Ryssen said:

Well at least he isn't in control of a ton of fast moving metal. I do agree that there are bad cyclists as well as bad drivers. But in the end, the person he is most likely to injure is himself. 
Ian-C said:

Not saying they couldn't pose a significant threat to someone elderly/young. Every single form of transportation represents a risk to more vulnerable people, it is possible to reduce this through infrastructure and enforcement. However I do believe there should be  a top down approach to enforcement, beginning with the least vulnerable and most dangerous forms of transport (HGVs) and then moving down the scale (buses- > cars-> motorbikes -> sports cyclists-> bike users->skateboarders etc...).
CKS said:

Bracken Van Ryssen said:

Ian-C said:

Unfortunately you couldn't prove it wasn't a passenger using the phone .

John K said:

It is perfectly possible to set up monitoring of mobile useage and/or speeding using existing GPS and other systems. Fines could be automatic and a revenue source for cycling infrastructure. We shouldn't be relying on a few prosecutions to achieve enforcement. 

as Nicole Kidman found out while being "papped" in NYC http://news.sky.com/story/1141167/kidman-shaken-after-paparazzo-cyc...

CKS said:

Bracken Van Ryssen said:

Ian-C said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Robert replied to Carol's discussion cars parked on cycle paths
"You missed the subtle point, James.   If their is no evidence that you drove on to the…"
51 minutes ago
James Lee replied to Carol's discussion cars parked on cycle paths
"It IS black and white.   145 You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway…"
1 hour ago
Darren Cash replied to Carol's discussion cars parked on cycle paths
"On Penns Lane, with the exception of the last few houses near Wylde Green (where there is a narrow…"
2 hours ago
James Lee posted a discussion

Driverless cars

Get ready for cyclists to lose their No. 1 position as motorists' greatest annoyances.See More
2 hours ago
"I know it feels like your car is safer if it is outside your house, but that isn't the…"
3 hours ago
Tim replied to Carol's discussion cars parked on cycle paths
"I don't know. Some people need two cars. I don't like to place myself in a position to…"
3 hours ago
"Well I personally I've always turned around if the queue is excessive, but I understand the…"
3 hours ago
Sarah-Jane replied to Carol's discussion cars parked on cycle paths
"But back to the topic, I don't think most people here are anti car and suspect that most of…"
3 hours ago
"The pedestrian tunnel at spaghetti/slade rd was filled with a heap of green waste for about a week…"
3 hours ago
Sarah-Jane replied to Carol's discussion cars parked on cycle paths
"Since the introduction of the "garden tax" charging for collecting garden waste, the…"
3 hours ago
LS replied to Carol's discussion cars parked on cycle paths
"Two hours? Most I've ever waited has been 15 minutes."
4 hours ago
"One of the reasons why I stopped being a member of the FoE was because the newsletters I received…"
5 hours ago
"I suppose you're right, but it makes me feel particularly uncomfortable when people generalise…"
15 hours ago
David replied to Carol's discussion cars parked on cycle paths
"I'm not sure it's car/driver hatred. In my case, it's annoyance with some drivers.…"
15 hours ago
John K replied to Iain's discussion Commuting under Spaghetti Junction - Is it safe?
"Probably the reason I will still commute on bike via A34 and Kingstanding to B74 when I relocate to…"
15 hours ago
"As an aside (since this has already gone way off topic!) the car/driver hatred on this forum is…"
15 hours ago

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by LS.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service