Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

We do need to take a stand against substandard driving and if the justice system won't do it then we the public need do what we can. 

The Ride for Hope is a great start but  given the awful pain and hurt these drivers can and do cause, perhaps there should be somewhere that the vehicles being driven (not the driver of course) are identified.  Something akin to the 'stocks'.

A closed forum such as this is not the ideal place but I'm happy to start.

W171SUX - female, Holly Road, Handsworth, 5.50pm 12/9/2013

Someone is probably going to tell me that there is law against doing this because its against law-breaking drivers human rights or the data protection act!

Views: 1357

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are we differentiating between drivers that text and those that make/take mobile calls...?

Does my head in. I saw four people either texting or on their phone in a ten minute journey on the Hagley Road this evening.

Once I get my headcam up and running and I can figure out how to edit the footage, I'm going to make a montage of these idiots on their phone complete with registration numbers. Not bothered if people view it but it will make me feel better 

I occasionally tweet about this sort of thing. Usually reckless driving. Twitter is pretty good because it's a countermeasure to all those tweets about bloody cyclists.

Mobile phone use while driving is socially accepted as being on a par with littering or having a dog off the lead.

Until it's punishable by a £500 fine and 6 points penalty and/or immediate ban, it will carry on.

I see it so often I don't even bother challenging it....and I suspect the police take the same attitude. 

I saw a cyclist riding no handed on new town row texting the other night

That should be illegal...only 'cause I can't do it.

Well at least he isn't in control of a ton of fast moving metal. I do agree that there are bad cyclists as well as bad drivers. But in the end, the person he is most likely to injure is himself. 
Ian-C said:

yes.for many people what appears on their little screen is more important than anything real in front of them. Some are not prepared to ignore their screens for more than 20 seconds. Once some people are inside a vehicle THEY feel safe and warm and really don't care about other humans. It is perfectly possible to set up monitoring of mobile useage and/or speeding using existing GPS and other systems. Fines could be automatic and a revenue source for cycling infrastructure. We shouldn't be relying on a few prosecutions to achieve enforcement.

Richard Smith said:

Mobile phone use while driving is socially accepted as being on a par with littering or having a dog off the lead.

Until it's punishable by a £500 fine and 6 points penalty and/or immediate ban, it will carry on.

I see it so often I don't even bother challenging it....and I suspect the police take the same attitude. 

They could still kill or seriously injure a pedestrian though.

Bracken Van Ryssen said:

Well at least he isn't in control of a ton of fast moving metal. I do agree that there are bad cyclists as well as bad drivers. But in the end, the person he is most likely to injure is himself. 
Ian-C said:

Not saying they couldn't pose a significant threat to someone elderly/young. Every single form of transportation represents a risk to more vulnerable people, it is possible to reduce this through infrastructure and enforcement. However I do believe there should be  a top down approach to enforcement, beginning with the least vulnerable and most dangerous forms of transport (HGVs) and then moving down the scale (buses- > cars-> motorbikes -> sports cyclists-> bike users->skateboarders etc...).
CKS said:

Bracken Van Ryssen said:

Ian-C said:

Unfortunately you couldn't prove it wasn't a passenger using the phone .

John K said:

It is perfectly possible to set up monitoring of mobile useage and/or speeding using existing GPS and other systems. Fines could be automatic and a revenue source for cycling infrastructure. We shouldn't be relying on a few prosecutions to achieve enforcement. 

as Nicole Kidman found out while being "papped" in NYC http://news.sky.com/story/1141167/kidman-shaken-after-paparazzo-cyc...

CKS said:

Bracken Van Ryssen said:

Ian-C said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Rich22222 replied to Phil Weber's discussion Research Study into "Near Misses"
"Interested to see the results of this... A near miss to me is either a back wheel in the air or a…"
10 hours ago
Surrinder Kumar replied to Steve Young's discussion Green Travel Districts
"They have all the "gear" but no bloody idea! The CGI'ers. The two cyclists riding…"
11 hours ago
Doug replied to Steve Young's discussion Green Travel Districts
"v good is it a scene from Peaky Blinders ? "
12 hours ago
James Lee replied to Steve Young's discussion Green Travel Districts
"The past. "
13 hours ago
Alex Bamford posted events
20 hours ago
Andy White posted a discussion

Peugeot Commuter/Winter Bike for sale

This bike has been maintained in very good working order and all parts function flawlessly. …See More
20 hours ago
Robert replied to Steve Young's discussion Green Travel Districts
"The future: "
20 hours ago
Kim replied to Denis Murphy's discussion Policing and Crime Priorities Survey - last chance to have your say (31 Oct !)
"What a strange survey.  I, as a random member of the public, have no idea about the rates of…"
21 hours ago
Nick Wattison updated an event
Thumbnail

Nick Wattison of Cycle Birmingham (Push Bikes) at Ride to The Anchor Inn at Caunsall near Stourbridge.

November 9, 2014 from 10:30am to 4:30pm
Ride to The Anchor Inn at Caunsall near Stourbridge. Meet at Kings Norton Railway Station car park…See More
22 hours ago
Rich22222 replied to Steve Young's discussion Green Travel Districts
"I wouldn't worry, their wheels appear to be made of brick "
22 hours ago
CKS replied to Steve Young's discussion Green Travel Districts
"That BMW looks like its going to hit one of the cyclists.  "
22 hours ago
Tom H replied to Steve Young's discussion Green Travel Districts
"Stakeholders are anyone with an interest in the venture, so in the context of Kings Heath high st,…"
22 hours ago
David replied to Steve Young's discussion Green Travel Districts
"This represent quite an improvement for KHHS: the pavement is in good repair, there are more trees…"
23 hours ago
James Lee replied to Steve Young's discussion Green Travel Districts
"Cyclists aren't limited to the distance they can travel. "
yesterday
Andrew George replied to Denis Murphy's discussion Policing and Crime Priorities Survey - last chance to have your say (31 Oct !)
"Thanks. I've passed it on to my housemates, too."
yesterday
LS updated an event
Thumbnail

Cycle Forum November at Birmingham and Midland Institute

November 6, 2014 from 5:30pm to 8pm
PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF VENUERSVP as attending/might attend to receive updates about this event.On…See More
yesterday

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by LS.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service