Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

We do need to take a stand against substandard driving and if the justice system won't do it then we the public need do what we can. 

The Ride for Hope is a great start but  given the awful pain and hurt these drivers can and do cause, perhaps there should be somewhere that the vehicles being driven (not the driver of course) are identified.  Something akin to the 'stocks'.

A closed forum such as this is not the ideal place but I'm happy to start.

 

W171SUX - female, Holly Road, Handsworth, 5.50pm 12/9/2013

 

Someone is probably going to tell me that there is law against doing this because its against law-breaking drivers human rights or the data protection act!

 

 

Views: 1342

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are we differentiating between drivers that text and those that make/take mobile calls...?

Does my head in. I saw four people either texting or on their phone in a ten minute journey on the Hagley Road this evening.

Once I get my headcam up and running and I can figure out how to edit the footage, I'm going to make a montage of these idiots on their phone complete with registration numbers. Not bothered if people view it but it will make me feel better 

I occasionally tweet about this sort of thing. Usually reckless driving. Twitter is pretty good because it's a countermeasure to all those tweets about bloody cyclists.

Mobile phone use while driving is socially accepted as being on a par with littering or having a dog off the lead.

Until it's punishable by a £500 fine and 6 points penalty and/or immediate ban, it will carry on.

I see it so often I don't even bother challenging it....and I suspect the police take the same attitude. 

I saw a cyclist riding no handed on new town row texting the other night

That should be illegal...only 'cause I can't do it.

Well at least he isn't in control of a ton of fast moving metal. I do agree that there are bad cyclists as well as bad drivers. But in the end, the person he is most likely to injure is himself. 
Ian-C said:

I saw a cyclist riding no handed on new town row texting the other night
yes.for many people what appears on their little screen is more important than anything real in front of them. Some are not prepared to ignore their screens for more than 20 seconds. Once some people are inside a vehicle THEY feel safe and warm and really don't care about other humans. It is perfectly possible to set up monitoring of mobile useage and/or speeding using existing GPS and other systems. Fines could be automatic and a revenue source for cycling infrastructure. We shouldn't be relying on a few prosecutions to achieve enforcement.

Richard Smith said:

Mobile phone use while driving is socially accepted as being on a par with littering or having a dog off the lead.

Until it's punishable by a £500 fine and 6 points penalty and/or immediate ban, it will carry on.

I see it so often I don't even bother challenging it....and I suspect the police take the same attitude. 

They could still kill or seriously injure a pedestrian though.
 
Bracken Van Ryssen said:

Well at least he isn't in control of a ton of fast moving metal. I do agree that there are bad cyclists as well as bad drivers. But in the end, the person he is most likely to injure is himself. 
Ian-C said:

I saw a cyclist riding no handed on new town row texting the other night

Not saying they couldn't pose a significant threat to someone elderly/young. Every single form of transportation represents a risk to more vulnerable people, it is possible to reduce this through infrastructure and enforcement. However I do believe there should be  a top down approach to enforcement, beginning with the least vulnerable and most dangerous forms of transport (HGVs) and then moving down the scale (buses- > cars-> motorbikes -> sports cyclists-> bike users->skateboarders etc...).
CKS said:

They could still kill or seriously injure a pedestrian though.
 
Bracken Van Ryssen said:

Well at least he isn't in control of a ton of fast moving metal. I do agree that there are bad cyclists as well as bad drivers. But in the end, the person he is most likely to injure is himself. 
Ian-C said:

I saw a cyclist riding no handed on new town row texting the other night

Unfortunately you couldn't prove it wasn't a passenger using the phone .


John K said:

 It is perfectly possible to set up monitoring of mobile useage and/or speeding using existing GPS and other systems. Fines could be automatic and a revenue source for cycling infrastructure. We shouldn't be relying on a few prosecutions to achieve enforcement. 
 
as Nicole Kidman found out while being "papped" in NYC http://news.sky.com/story/1141167/kidman-shaken-after-paparazzo-cyc...

CKS said:

They could still kill or seriously injure a pedestrian though.
 
Bracken Van Ryssen said:

Well at least he isn't in control of a ton of fast moving metal. I do agree that there are bad cyclists as well as bad drivers. But in the end, the person he is most likely to injure is himself. 
Ian-C said:

I saw a cyclist riding no handed on new town row texting the other night

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

James Lee replied to Keith Dodds's discussion Bicicielo good vibes
"We need photos."
3 minutes ago
Robert replied to Sarah-Jane's discussion Shoes for cycling, but not cycling shoes
"But Kim says it's allowed, and according to this video wearing socks is essential,…"
15 minutes ago
Andy H replied to Sarah-Jane's discussion Shoes for cycling, but not cycling shoes
"In a word: no."
29 minutes ago
Andy H commented on Andy H's photo
Thumbnail

My new commuter

"Thanks for the comments. It's swings and roundabouts with the tensioner. At least I won't…"
47 minutes ago
LS commented on LS's photo
Thumbnail

Give Way

"I just don't understand it at all. Why would bikes have to give way to a side road? Why…"
1 hour ago
CKS commented on LS's photo
Thumbnail

Give Way

"Because it's there?"
1 hour ago
LS posted a discussion

Stirchley Pumptrack

Pump what? Watch the video...…See More
2 hours ago
LS posted a photo

Give Way

Sir Harry's Road Edgbaston between Bristol Road and Pershore Road. Why?
3 hours ago
Keith Dodds posted a discussion

Bicicielo good vibes

Big thanks to the guys at the bike shop hardest to spell for fixing up the old road bike they did a…See More
3 hours ago
Robert replied to Sarah-Jane's discussion Shoes for cycling, but not cycling shoes
"Are socks with sandals allowed now?   Short socks, such as those below, I hasten to add. "
3 hours ago
LS replied to Sarah-Jane's discussion Shoes for cycling, but not cycling shoes
"I recently saw someone cycling in heavy rain wearing crocs with no socks. "
4 hours ago
James Lee replied to Bill Reynolds's discussion More easier travelling.
"Yes. A fact AUK are aware of, so they reduce the required average speed to 13.5 kmh on rides…"
4 hours ago
Sarah-Jane replied to Sarah-Jane's discussion Shoes for cycling, but not cycling shoes
"Keen Newport sandals with their closed in toes are big favourites in our household for warmer…"
4 hours ago
Kim replied to Sarah-Jane's discussion Shoes for cycling, but not cycling shoes
"While we're on the subject, sandals are surprisingly excellent for cycling due to the…"
4 hours ago
Kim replied to Bill Reynolds's discussion More easier travelling.
"Perfectly true of course, but the typical cyclist isn't usually concerned with how much total…"
5 hours ago
Robert replied to Bill Reynolds's discussion More easier travelling.
"Yep, I had that music on the brain for ages after I posted that comment.   Now it's…"
5 hours ago

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by LS.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service