Birmingham Cyclist

Cycling in and around Birmingham England

No, the title of this thread is not incorrect.

Velo Birmingham 2017 was possibly one of the most controversial sportives to ever enter the calendar with both cyclists and communities at loggerheads between themselves and with each other.  So I have been undertaking some analysis on the current political situation for Velo Midland 2018.

Birmingham City Council and CSM were contractually committed to deliver Velo for a total of five years but BCC’s ineptitude completely overlooked the jurisdictional differences with neighbouring local authorities. As a policy analysist, I call this an implementation gap. Others will refer to it as a ‘cock-up’.   As covered in great depth elsewhere on the 2017 event, Birmingham City were counting on the support of Worcestershire and Herefordshire completely pulled out and the section beyond Great Witley was abandoned. Worcestershire only accepted after the event after placing thumb screws on CSM and a substantial alteration to the route.  If it had not been for late comer Staffordshire County who supported the event crossing into their county, then Velo Birmingham would have been substantially truncated in length.

When Worcestershire finally accepted the event in July and instigated the TTROs for the event, officers also agreed to further four years of support but Velo.  Politicians were to say uncertain about such a commitment and the five-year pledge was withdrawn.  Instead, they have instigated the review to include inputs from the largely hostile parish councils, businesses both supportive and opposed to Velo, local councillors and citizens.  The Tories have been leafleting households asking for ‘views’ but it was clear which way they were angling.   Informed sources tell me that it is 50/50 that Worcestershire will agree to Velo Midland at the end of next September. Most of the parishes have rejected the event outright and a couple have been very supportive. 

Staffordshire County meanwhile are more sanguine about Velo in 2018, though I have seen elsewhere that South Staffs District are opposed along with local MP and parishes.  The opposing groups are hoping for a Worcestershire rejection to bolster their case against Staffordshire County.  Staffs CC may choose to ignore parishes but will find it difficult to ignore MP and district councils input. 

An announcement from Worcestershire is imminent.  If they reject the event what happens thereafter is open to speculation.  If they say ‘yes’ it is probable that the Velo Midland event will be subject to very tough conditions, probably financial and with route alterations.

Views: 1129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Velo Birmingham was a Birmingham thing tied up with HSBC coming and the BCR. Andy Street would have been stepping on their toes if he had muscled in on it. However, now it might be possible for it to get West Midlands support and backing. I wonder if they will make much progress before the May local elections and the sorting out of Cabinet posts etc afterwards.

I doubt it Dave  ... NIMBY's have won, they have just announced this

https://www.velosouth.com for the September 2018 slot 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Site Sponsors

Latest Activity

Steve replied to LS's discussion Edgbaston Tunnel Tow Path Widening
"You would think that it would be pretty predictable that metal plate would be slippery when wet.…"
1 hour ago
LS replied to LS's discussion Edgbaston Tunnel Tow Path Widening
"It's better that it rained hard on Friday and was found to be slippy while contractors were…"
2 hours ago
Gaz is now a member of Birmingham Cyclist
5 hours ago
doug salmon replied to LS's discussion Edgbaston Tunnel Tow Path Widening
"Nobody apparently. Website still 25th open at 5pm. "
16 hours ago
john butler replied to LS's discussion Edgbaston Tunnel Tow Path Widening
"thanks for update LS..but who is responsible for keeping the public informed about these…"
20 hours ago
LS replied to LS's discussion Edgbaston Tunnel Tow Path Widening
"After the heavy rain yesterday the metal plates were found to be slippy. They are applying an…"
20 hours ago
Robert Jones replied to LS's discussion Edgbaston Tunnel Tow Path Widening
"It was still closed late yesterday evening. "
yesterday
Andrew Walsh replied to LS's discussion Edgbaston Tunnel Tow Path Widening
"Hi all Is it open now?  I thought people were planning a party or something to celebrate, if…"
yesterday
Tom H commented on LS's photo
Thumbnail

NCN5 at Dogpool Lane

"they are tighter, you can see from the concreting underneath that they are significantly wider than…"
Thursday
On Your Bike replied to doug salmon's discussion On Your Bike
"No problem. Any time."
Thursday
Andrew W commented on LS's photo
Thumbnail

NCN5 at Dogpool Lane

"I think they are a lot tighter now.  Almost had a clipless moment going South yesterday. …"
Thursday
Ryan Stait replied to john butler's discussion A38 cycle route
"Few new lane markings on Bristol St/Belgrave Middleway junction when I came out of town this…"
Wednesday
Kim replied to john butler's discussion A38 cycle route
"This is a problem with shared paths generally.  The signs and markings are generally…"
Wednesday
LS replied to Chad's discussion GU Canal (Tyseley)
"I cycled the Cole Valley route to work for 13 years which included the short stretch of canal at…"
Wednesday
Chad replied to Chad's discussion GU Canal (Tyseley)
"I have cycled this route for nigh on 20 years and it is only since the upgrade that I have ever…"
Wednesday
James Russell might attend LS's event
Thumbnail

HSBC Let's Ride Birmingham at Route to be confirmed

June 10, 2018 from 9am to 4pm
What used to be called SkyRide / BikeFest / City RideSee More
Tuesday

© 2018   Created by LS.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service